Sorry to be so slow to respond! I was distracted by a million other FI things.
1. In the packet, it mentions that the University takes about a year to take off, and expands from there, but too late. We haven't defined exactly how many years the colony is around after the calamity and before the recall; "not many" is implied. We don't like to nail down too many hard details because it limits your creativity, so make a rough guess if you want to build a history in that point, and we'll let you know if it deviates strongly from what we think is OK (or, maybe cryoburn just means your memory is a bit warped).
(Basically, cryoburn memory loss means no one remembers every detail of prior colonies. We use this to create interesting plot surprises. Enjoy it.
2. Euphoria is a perfect world without crime! Everyone is happy in Euphoria! Clothing is comfortable and nice because everyone is nice in Euphoria!
Nothing is particularly defined because we'd like you to feel free to come up with it.
3. Similar to above, we aren't defining or restricitng it. Non-scientists have sturdy utilitarian clothing and tech is pretty utilitarian and survival-oriented.
(Unlike many games, we don't draw much plot from character history. It's there for you to have a basis for your character, perhaps weave a few other PCs into your history to start a group; but your actions and interactions in game are what's important at FI.)
4. Oops, linked. It's been up for a while, as noted.
5. Most mundane items are okay, as Wendy has stated. If you wanted a gas mask to just be an aesthetic, non-functional costume piece, that would be okay, but it wouldn't actually function like a gas mask device to protect you from environmental effects.
6 & 7. We don't have a hard rule, but since folks like to use EL and LEDs to denote their shiny, shiny devices I'd strongly prefer to keep that to devices/created tech. Also, so that an enterprising player could create the procedure "Production, Create Blinky Jewelry" or something. (Note: science team has not approved that procedure, I'm pulling it out of my butt.)
8. No, but it's recommended. The site is pretty flat as Wendy said, but often muddy. Wear something you'll be comfortable walking around in all weekend.
9a. More info required. Cosmetic modifications are generally okay as long as they're not unsafe in some way I'm not thinking of (adding spikes or sharp edges bad, changing the outline to look awesome and spacey good). Things that make it shoot further or harder are Not Endorsed and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis at checkin. (Generally we shoot a volunteer and/or you with it, and if they flinch, we no-go the gun.)
9b. I have no idea.
10. Sure, sounds fun!
11, 12, 13. Telmo & John nailed it.
Welcome to FI!
Head of Plot