Welcome Colonist !   There are 67 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:19

Off Topic
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Pvc Board
Posted by: Ryan P (IP Logged)
Date: May 8, 2014 07:47AM

Hey Folks! So I've been looking at things to help improve my costume that I can make, this being said, I've found a product that is used by Cosplayers/Larpers/Prop Weapons Makers, its called Sintra, its basically PVC board, how ever before I invest in a product that I may not like, I wanted to streatch my hand out and see if anyone has any experience with dealing with this material.

Doctor Christopher Marcetti Valentine - "Snowman/Seven"
Retired CDF Fostrum
Assistant Chief Surgeon - M.E.

"Nothing will drive a man harder then Revenge. And there is no force on this world or mother that will stop them" ~ Unknown

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. I dont have it, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. I will find you and I will kill you." ~ Some famous actor some where.

Re: Pvc Board
Posted by: Sarah M (IP Logged)
Date: May 8, 2014 08:31AM

they are exxpencive takl with let me know your idea maybe i can help with a cheeper material

Posted by: Sarah M (IP Logged)
Date: May 8, 2014 12:54PM

Posted by: Stephanie P (IP Logged)
Date: May 8, 2014 04:33PM

I've worked with Sintra a bit. Its main advantage is that its thermoformable, and sturdy for its weight. If you are making something that needs organic curves, aren't afraid of breathing near heated PVC, and can acquire the supplies you need for heating it and controlling the resulting shape, it is a good fit. (I hear you can get it shapable with hot water, but I've always needed a heat gun.)

There are tradeoffs with material choice along several axes: how easy it is to work with, how expensive it is, how durable the resulting product is, etc, so more details about what you have in mind & your design/budget constraints will help us give you more targeted advice.

Posted by: William B (IP Logged)
Date: May 8, 2014 06:33PM

If you are afraid of breathing near heated PVC, I've used the t-shirt ninja-mask method multiple times in the past and I'm still alive (though an appropriately-graded rebreather for chemical fumes would be more responsible- there may also be cheaper methods of home-made "gas mask" that would be equally effective if you do your research). The state of California may disagree with my methods however.

If you're trying to make armor plates you might want something similar to an anvil (sturdy and heat-resistant- also, stone/bricks are a good surface for safe, rapid heat dispersal, though slightly less necessary) and some welding gloves to handle the hot PVC. (I wouldn't recommend oven mitts because I've personally always used my welding gloves when curving PVC pipe over a heat source).

Disclaimer: I am not a professional fabricator; I'm a fine arts alumni and I may approach things somewhat unconventionally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.