Welcome Colonist !   There are 73 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:19

Off Topic
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Anyone Heard Of Conductive Thread?
Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: January 2, 2013 12:14PM

I've been researching making a device that has a light up necklace as a phys rep. I've had some basic electronics courses, how hard could it be smiling smiley

While researching this, I came across conductive thread. Apparently it can be used to carry electricity through cloth. I found a tutorial where it was used to light up an LED pendent and then some sales pitches where it was used to make "texting" gloves and woven cloth.

Overall, it looks pretty cool, and I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of this or used it? I want to try out the LED pendent idea and then if that goes well, see how well it can be used on my loom. Could make a pretty awesome strap for my three man goggles, especially if I got the team name to be the part that lit up.

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Re: Anyone Heard Of Conductive Thread?
Posted by: Rob B (IP Logged)
Date: January 2, 2013 12:17PM

Yes I have.

Your next step will be to go to adafruit.com and find yourself a lillipad. Its a flat arduino board which works excellently with conductive thread. Make your own programmed shirts and such grinning smiley

Addedum... I guess they made a new one. The FLORA

adafruit.com

Re: Anyone Heard Of Conductive Thread?
Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: January 2, 2013 01:12PM

Oh very cool, this is why I posted here! I've been debating working with textiles as Jane, and this might just be the platform I need to make that happen. Math + Chem + conductive thread + embroidery machine = awesome potential for devices. And here I was thinking the glow in the dark thread on my short blade was cool.

Though, to be honest, I am more intrigued by the possibility of using it as the warp thread on my loom and weaving conductive fabric then wiring cloth afterwards.

Thanks for the info, something to look into!

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.