Welcome Colonist !   There are 28 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:18

Off Topic
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Feed The Cast Poker Tournament!
Posted by: Chris M (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2012 10:27AM

Anyone interested in playing a poker tournament, using (most of ) the buy in to fund cast meals, and using the UP that would be awarded as the prize pool for the tournament?

I was thinking 30 bucks a head (25 for cast meal, 5 for pizza/burgers/whatever for the people playing in the tournament)

we get 27 players, we probably feed the whole cast. And we play poker on a Saturday night. What more could you ask for? (Ok, yes, booze, girls, and drugs, Gregori. Sit down)

I am willing to schlep my tables and chips (and get more chips if we actually have 27 players) anywhere within 2 hours of my house (So anywhere in NH to parts of Conn and most of Mass)

I have 3 dogs and a significant other with minor health issues. Hosting here isn't an option.

If you're interested, reply. If it sounds too pricy, but you're still interested, reply anyway, we can always negotiate something.

If you are cast and want to play : Great, but, um, the prize pool is in UP, so make sure you can do something with it before you plunk down your bucks.

I am open to suggestions or changing any of the above terms (including lending my stuff to someone else if Saturday nights won't work for most players, though that means I likely won't play)

If you'd like to host (drive time zero) PLEASE reply. Also list any house conditions (No booze, byob, bring extra for the host, no smoking, etc, etc)

I hope people are interested.

Re: Feed The Cast Poker Tournament!
Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2012 10:49AM

Interest yes, ability depends. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Nathan S (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2012 12:34PM

If it takes place near the Cambridge area or somewhere accessible by the T, I (and I'm guessing a handful of the MIT/Jinja folks) would be interested.

Posted by: Derek H (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2012 12:37PM

Nathan, why not see if there is somewhere at MIT or in Cambridge that we could host? I am sure we can still finagle some kind of help from the Assassin's Guild as far as scheduling is concerned. -Derek

Date: February 13, 2012 07:41PM

I'll drive into Boston, if it works out that way. Please pick a place with parking available. I'm an old fart, and hauling those tables several blocks ain't good.

My tables can comfortably handle 8 players each, and slightly uncomfortably handle 10 each. If we go over 20, we'll need another surface for people to play on.

If this ends up in someone's home, I would suggest we discuss letting them play for free, as an incentive.

As a further (dubious) incentive, I am willing to give a lesson on good tournament play to the host (or whomever finagles us a location, if we borrow space from a school/church/druglord)

Date: February 17, 2012 09:37AM

The lack of responses makes me think either this isn't a good idea, or its priced too high, or general inertia will keep it from happening unless I threaten to sing or some godawful thing to get you to say you'll play.

If you have any feedback at all, please let me know. If it still looks like there's a lack of interest by 3/1, I will withdraw the offer to do this for Spring 1, so that nobody thinks they shouldn't grab up a Feed the Cast donation request.

The cast needs to eat, regardless.

Posted by: Mike I (IP Logged)
Date: February 17, 2012 09:52AM

It sounds like a good idea to me. Unfortunantly any location that would draw the most folks would probibaly not be near me.

Date: February 17, 2012 10:00AM

Here's an Idea..... Ye Olde Commons, 6:30 pm day of the event.....

Anyone wishing to play grabs a Feed the Cast donation, pays it, and lets logistics know they're playing, so they shouldn't award the UP yet. We play and give logistics the payout schedule for the UP.

Easy for everyone (well, everyone that could get there by 6:30) except of course, for Amber, who'd need to deal with the UP assigning and the PM's saying they're playing.

Is this remotely viable? Is it easier for most people?
Is it incredibly lame and annoying (Amber, feel free to chime in here)

Posted by: Steph T (IP Logged)
Date: February 17, 2012 10:07AM

UP can be freely transferred between players. I don't think Amber needs to pop in; you just all need to be gentlemen about it. smiling smiley

Posted by: Amber R (IP Logged)
Date: February 17, 2012 10:07AM

Before my head explodes, let me try to clarify.

Are you saying 6:30pm the Friday night of the event at YOC, a few hours before we execute our first event at a new site under new management?

Posted by: Rob B (IP Logged)
Date: February 17, 2012 10:12AM

I think thats the hint that you're cutting it a bit close. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: February 17, 2012 10:19AM

*chuckle*

Its me genuinely attempting to clarify before I react either way, good sir.

To offer a clarify of my own:

I adore the idea of the poker tournament to feed our poor starving cast members.

I would not adore the idea of it running nearly simultaneously with checkin, and running concurrently with setup, for which we will be attempting to fill an entirely new game space.

Date: February 17, 2012 11:48AM

I and a few of my Cambridge/Somerville cohorts are interested. I am considering hosting at my apartment. There is room for two large tables (I have a large dining-room table already in one room). There is parking for one or two cars, plus possible street parking on Sundays (without a permit). It would be no smoking, no pets, no children, BYOB. absolute maximum of 20 people. If we can find a date that works, and work with those restrictions, we could do it at my place (which is near Porter Square, BTW).

Date: February 18, 2012 09:10AM

I'm fine with that.

If there's a max of 20, my 2 poker tables can snugly hold them (assuming no designated dealer)

Assuming there's someplace to park, and we get enough bodies to show up, I will be there and bend over sideways (I'm an old man, can't go backwards anymore) to make it happen

Um.... Logistics Goddess.... um,..... yeah, that was the proposal. I DID ask if it would be a headache for you, and I'm guessing you're responding strongly in the affirmative. Said proposal is withdrawn.

Nowhere on my list of things to do today is Piss Off Logistics

Date: February 18, 2012 10:13AM

Not remotely pissed off, but yes, I would personally feel pretty strongly about that particular time and place.

Then again, please don't take that as Gospel. It's just one woman's opinion, who can envision how harried and hurried her cast will be around that time and in that place.

Many hugs for what you are trying to put together to benefit those cast members, though. I do very sincerely thank you.

-Amber
Retired Logistics Goddess

Neve O'Brien(RIP), Magnus Sulara Oratia Somerton, Songbird, Elias Amory, Dr. Ara Grintner (formerly ZG) , Jane Sawyer, and Grace (just Grace)

Date: February 18, 2012 09:01PM

Amber :
A) You are not "just one woman" and your informed opinion is worth far more than my half-assed guessing

B) Anything I do for this group is a selfish act on my part. I've grown too fond of all of you to give you up.

Steph :
Don't hang out with too many poker players, do you? Poker playing is a vile, manipulative, unsettling sport (and I've been playing since before you were born, so I'm totally corrupted ). Trust everyone, but always cut the cards and get the money up front.

Date: February 23, 2012 07:21PM

The weekend of the 23rd would work best, I think. That is the weekend right before the next event. Does that work for you, Chris?

One problem that needs resolving is that if we play at my apartment we need is my lack of chairs. I have 8.
I have a dining room table big enough for 8-10, and space for one of Chris' tables.

Date: February 24, 2012 09:01AM

That weekend does NOT work for me. My S.O. had her thyroid removed a while back and is having a radioactive iodine treatment that week. She'll be very tired, and the dogs cannot be within 6 feet of her for pretty much the whole week, so I need to run interference from the 20'th or so until the following monday/tuesday

IF it is the only day people can play, I am willing to lend my equipment to anyone willing to take it there. Assuming you're willing to bring it to spring one, you can refrain from bringing it back (if that's easier)

I'd prefer to play, and I'm sorry I can't make that weekend work

Date: February 29, 2012 08:56PM

How about St. Patrick's Day (3/17), the weekend before that?

Date: March 1, 2012 10:07AM

Ok, That works for me, assuming its in the evening.

Can anyone / enough other people also make it then?

I will hold off withdrawing it for this event until after the weekend. So if people want to do this, please make some noise, in a textual way

Posted by: Jaye B (IP Logged)
Date: March 1, 2012 10:58AM

I'd suggest creating a facebook event and inviting folks, so they can RSVP.

Date: March 1, 2012 11:34AM

Please feel free to loudly advertise it on the FI Evolutionary Initiative page, and if you'd like it posted to the 'official public' social media presences as well, craft a blurb and I will post it to both our G+ page, as well as the Future Imperfect LARP facebook page.

Date: March 2, 2012 10:11AM

Ok, I will put some blurb together tomorrow AM, if Nathan can give me the time he had in mind for the 17'th., and exactly where we are all meeting

If he can't, I can vamp around, but I'll look highly ineffectual.

Date: March 2, 2012 01:02PM

I'm pretty flexible for the time on the 17th. If you are only free in the evening, I would say as early as you can do.
My address is:
265 Summer St.
Somerville, MA 02144

I's a short walk from Porter Square, and its red line T station. People could probably (somewhat illegally) park at the Porter Square shopping center. Chris, you can park in my driveway, but street parking is permit-only.
As a reminder: no smoking, no pets, no children, BYOB. absolute maximum of 20 people.

I'm also going to need more chairs. Chris, do you have folding ones to go with your tables that you could bring?

Date: March 3, 2012 09:19AM

I have to check the basement, I THINK I have a couple, I do not have many. I also drive a Hyndai (or however you spell it) hatchback, so I can't move too many, if I can find some more. I will look.

Can we get an interest count?

Also, as of right now there are only 7 "feed a cast" donation slots left. Now, I personally am fine if they defer some to the next event. I am equally fine if Amber or someone else Generally In Charge throws up more of the FAC donations if we have bodies looking to play.

What I'm less good at is making something up on the spot, if I have more players than donations left and no authority to make that kind of decision.

May I request a ruling from the Esteemed in-charge folk?

Date: March 5, 2012 11:46PM

Ok, it's March 5'th and the interest in this is less than noteworthy.

I blame myself for lack of a clear venue and organization. I am going to pull the plug on this for Spring 1, so that nobody is reluctant to take a "feed the cast" donation.

I WILL attempt to organize this before future events, if there is interest. If anyone wanted to play "but".... those buts would be helpful, to make it more likely to happen in the future.

Thank you, and I'm very sorry I couldn't get this to work out this time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.