Welcome Colonist !   There are 28 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:16

Off Topic
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
The Enemy's Gate Is Down
Posted by: Brandon W (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2012 10:34AM

The Ender's Game movie has a tenative release date of march 15, 2013. It's been cast. It's filming. I've seen some trailers. I have never been this excited for a movie. This will be the second time a childhood favorite is translated to the Silver Screen (the first being The Golden Compass). Discuss?

Re: The Enemy's Gate Is Down
Posted by: Amber R (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2012 11:08AM

Oh where to start! This is the book that Derek first handed me when I said I might be interested in getting into his sci fi game thing on the ground floor, but that I wasn't sure sci fi could be used to tell compelling human stories. After reading this book, I signed on, completely convinced of the power of the genre for amazing storycrafting. And here I am, so I guess it really did make me a believer, and in many ways working on this game, with all of you (players, too!), and with everything we've been through...has changed the course of my stars, so while it sounds twee, this book helped direct my life!

That said, I admit I'm scared of this movie being ruined by Hollywood. I have it so perfectly in my head, what folks look like, what they sound like- if they get too much 'wrong' by my own internal estimation, I don't think I'll be able to enjoy it.

But, oh, if they get it right! This has amazing potential. And I do approve of the casting that I've read of so far; very curious to see how Bean is handled in particular.

I could discuss this for a very long time. I'll shush long enough to let others in on the talk.

-Amber
Retired Logistics Goddess

Neve O'Brien(RIP), Magnus Sulara Oratia Somerton, Songbird, Elias Amory, Dr. Ara Grintner (formerly ZG) , Jane Sawyer, and Grace (just Grace)

Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2012 11:43AM

So what you're saying is that I'll never know true sci-fi literature happiness until I read it? I've always been worried that reading the series as an adult would make it lose some of its charm but that seems not to be the case...

Posted by: Amber R (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2012 11:48AM

Quite the contrary; while I know many of our player base are prodigy of one sort or another, I really think many of the themes and development would be lost on a younger reader. Highly recommended.

Posted by: Brandon W (IP Logged)
Date: January 26, 2012 10:36AM

I consider Ender's Game and Stranger in a Strange Land to be the two most insightful works into the concept of empathy ever penned. Plain and simple, Ender's game is one of my favorite books ever written. I own something like 9 copies in paperback, and one in hardcover. I keep the paperback copies to give it to people who haven't read it yet. Should I bring one to the one day for you Erin?

Posted by: Steph T (IP Logged)
Date: January 26, 2012 10:56AM

Ender's Game is amazing and was a huge part of my childhood. I could go into such stories... like how I once gave OSC an idea he used in Ender's Shadow! (Not to brag, I'm just kind of a big deal, right?)

I'm excited/TERRIFIED at this movie, which I've been following the progress of (or lack thereof) for over a decade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.