Welcome Colonist !   There are 30 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:16

Off Topic
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Science ≈ Magic
Posted by: Michel S (IP Logged)
Date: April 4, 2016 11:42AM

I'm working on a game in which science and magic are effectively interchangeable (sound familiar?) and I'm looking for what science might best apply to Aberation (channeling power, teleportation, phasing through walls, etc) if there is one. Any thoughts?

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 04/04/16 12:32PM

Re: Science ≈ Magic
Posted by: Ben L (IP Logged)
Date: April 5, 2016 08:32AM

Quantum Physics is probably your best bet. For teleportation see quantum teleportation. For phasing I'd go with 'put yourself into a state of quantum superposition where they exist only as a probability field, then collapse that probability field on the other side of the wall.' I'm not sure what sort of practical effect 'channeling power' has to line that one up though.

Posted by: Michel S (IP Logged)
Date: April 5, 2016 09:34AM

Sounds good, if I'm following your train of thought channeling powering this case would be analogous to generating electricity. Now I just need a name for the school, Quantum Physics is great, but I really need something a person living before the industrial revolution might use.

Posted by: Sabrina H (IP Logged)
Date: May 2, 2016 03:00AM

Call it STEM, or Power, or Physematics (Phys-e-mat-tics) mashup names to make it unique yet still understood by industrial revolution.

Posted by: William B (IP Logged)
Date: May 2, 2016 11:11AM

Quantum theory was cutting edge in the 1900s; the major scientific precursor to the development of quantum theory was (unified from the separate fields of study of electricity and magnetism) Electromagnetism.

Of course, I'm Google-fu citing this from the "History of science" article on wikipedia, and while it feels right, fact-check as you feel necessary for your writing research.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.