Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:18

Rules Forum - FI 3
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
On Procedure Packets
Posted by: Sage S (IP Logged)
Date: May 23, 2022 08:40AM

Couple of related questions:

1. Can packet-based procedures also be delivered by touch? For ex, can I apply the core Redox procedure directly to a person's body if I find myself close enough?

2. Are packets physical items that could be retrieved during a body search or similar?

Re: On Procedure Packets
Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: May 23, 2022 09:27AM

You can definitly deliver a packet procedure by touch if you are close enough

While you can freely grab packets from the ground after an encounter, or ask others for some, I think the basic rule is not to take them off people during a search.

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Posted by: Rhiannon C (IP Logged)
Date: May 23, 2022 09:34AM

Yeah, packets are just the OOG way we simulate "This person has powers that can target you from afar" and makes it so that you can't just automatically hit someone when a person shooting NERF darts might miss. Actually, think of it as a magic missile. Not tangible IG but used for focus IG.

Dr. Siadona Briggs, PhD
Chief of Psychology
Board President, Pioneer Medical Center
she/her/hers

Posted by: David R (IP Logged)
Date: May 23, 2022 11:56AM

The only reason I can think of to allow searching packets is to strip someone of them like how we strip someone of weapons, even when those weapons aren't usually stealable items.

Posted by: Lee P (IP Logged)
Date: May 23, 2022 12:25PM

I don't believe that taking packets is allowed presently, or should be allowed, when searching, for the reasons mentioned by Rhiannon - they're just a way to represent the procedure and make it so that it's not an automatic hit and functions more like Nerf darts etc. If we want to stop someone flinging chem stuff we should use skills that negate chem abilities, for example.

Posted by: Stu A (IP Logged)
Date: May 26, 2022 10:21AM

Disagree, if we take someone prisoner we take their gun, we dont have to develop a negate gunz procedure. For a story perspective we should be able to secure their pharmaceuticals, screwdriver, pocket full of sawdust, to prevent someone from executing genius.Without having to invent a procedure for it.

Posted by: Rhiannon C (IP Logged)
Date: May 26, 2022 10:30AM

You can't confiscate someone's brain.

Dr. Siadona Briggs, PhD
Chief of Psychology
Board President, Pioneer Medical Center
she/her/hers

Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: May 29, 2022 01:09PM

Rhiannon C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can't confiscate someone's brain.
>
> Dr. Siadona Briggs, PhD
> Chief of Psychology
> Board President, Pioneer Medical Center
> she/her/hers

That sounded like a challenge and if anyone is going to try to prove that wrong, it’s Black.

Seriously though, packets are an OOG item that we shouldn’t see when searching someone. A weapon is visible in and out of the FI universe. We don’t take ammo from Cast searches otherwise it’ll make combat sad and the same should be true for “brain ammo” in the form of Procedure packets.

I see the line like this:
We can remove the Device enabling someone to throw a packet, assuming we have means for discovering/removing it.
We can remove AMPs because the bottled Procedure exists in universe.
We can remove Prepared Procedures; they’re manifest and are being held in the wielder’s hands. To Stu’s point above, these are the physical trappings of Procedures that we should be able to readily see and get out of their reach, see also weapons.
Unless we have Procedures to counteract someone’s ability to use Procedures of their own (No Skills, Negate Discipline, Bind, Immobilize, Sleep, etc.), we can’t eliminate that potential threat. Hence, Packets should not be visible to us in a search so as to a) allow the Genius threat to persist & require us to use IG precautions to counteract it and b) to keep combats interesting by not hoarding the “brain ammo.”

Posted by: Ethan G (IP Logged)
Date: May 29, 2022 02:02PM

You can also take their science bag.

Posted by: Josh M (IP Logged)
Date: June 7, 2022 03:23PM

To provide some clarity, I would adjudicate this as so:

1) Yes, Packet based Procedures can be delivered by Touch, but for safety reasons please do not do so in the hurly burly of a melee/fire fight. That being said, hilarity ensues when you apply it by touch to some enemy taking cover next to your bleeding out body when you use Recovery or a Battle Stem. Err on the side of safety.

2) Prepared Procedures can be lost by being knocked unconscious, so rather than necessitate knocking someone unconscious, if you have access to a person to Search them, you may state you are stripping them of their Prepared Procedures. Tavs can retain a number of Prepared Procedures even while unconscious, you may not strip them in this way. Procedurese Packets not being used to physically represent Prepared Procedure may not be stripped and are meant to represent people being able to Maguyver up something from impractical starting materials. Negate [Discipline] would be the way to stop someone from using Packets in a general fashion. In regards to the Spirit of the Rules here, we need to retain packets on Cast Members for multiple waves of combat, and we want you to be able to retain packets you've put effort into making in the first place..

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.