Welcome Colonist !   There are 43 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:18

Rules Forum - FI 3
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Medical Diagnosis
Posted by: Matt A (IP Logged)
Date: June 28, 2020 10:10PM

Does Medical Diagnosis allow you to Diagnose Poison or Sepsis?

Leader of Vanguard Squad, Archipelago Liberation Forces

Re: Medical Diagnosis
Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: July 6, 2020 10:53AM

The way I've always played it is that you can't get those answers directly but you can likely infer from the answers you get but you make a good point.

For example, if you see someone get hit with something, Diagnose them, and get Conscious, <1 minute, Yes, Weakness, and Any number but possibly (and notably) 0, it's probably Poison. I am pretty sure you're not supposed to outright say "Poison" because you're actually suffering from Weakness at the time.

Sepsis is a little more wonky, IMO, because you are suffering the Sepsis effect which *should* be able to be detected with that 3rd question, I think.

From "Diagnose Skills" section of the rulebook.

"Medical: Medical Diagnostics in Biology and Tactical Diagnostics in Combat
You may, with a Discipline Kit, perform the following effect at will: “Begin Sampling, (2 minute RP) Take Medical Sample”. You should label a piece of paper with what Event you did this, and information to precisely identify who or what you took the sample from (Clarifying with the target if necessary), and then enclose it in an AMP bottle.
This portion of this skill only works on characters without the Automaton qualifier. You may ask any number of questions of a single character, but you may Diagnose at most one character per minute. You may ask only the following questions of any cooperative or Helpless character. Acceptable answers are included in angle brackets.
» Diagnose: What Life States are you in? <[Life States]>
» Diagnose: How long before your Life State changes? <[Time]/Stable>
» Diagnose: Are you suffering from any non-Mental Harmful Effects? <Yes, [Effect(s)]/No>
» Diagnose: How many Vitality are you down from your maximum? <Number>"

Posted by: David R (IP Logged)
Date: July 6, 2020 11:09PM

Poison is 100% a non-mental harmful effect that would be listed under the third question.

Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: July 7, 2020 01:29PM

Heh, the few times I've needed to diagnose someone, I've never gotten the effect as an answer, just yes/no. I believe that in previous arcs the answer wasn't given and old habits are dying hard. Diagnosing sucks less now!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.