Rules Forum - FI 3
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Applied Theory And Genius
Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: June 7, 2020 01:21AM

For the purposes of Pure Classification and other perk pre-reqs, do applied theory and genious both count as the same delivery method? Or does applied theory not count as a one of the delivery mechanims at all?

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Re: Applied Theory And Genius
Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: June 8, 2020 02:33PM

Those aren't delivery methods. What those refer to are the specific ways to deliver a Procedure/Skill: Packet, Gun, Blade, Punch, Touch, By Network Terminal, and By Environmental Effect.

I'm 99% sure but IANJ.

Posted by: Josh M (IP Logged)
Date: June 8, 2020 02:42PM

Quoting from Pure Dalet:

Quote:
Observe 3 Procedures being used of each of Theory Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4 in the Stealth Discipline, and have the people using them explain the principles of how they did it (roughly a minute to five minutes of roleplay for each Procedure being explained. The total should be at least 30 minutes of discussion in all). You must observe at least one Procedure being delivered by each Method: AMP, Device, Prepared, and Spontaneous.

Spontaneous is from a Skill, whether from Genius or Applied Science.

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Date: June 29, 2020 01:54AM

Clarify: Does that mean that genius and applied science both count as the Spontaneous delivery mechanism, and i need:

Requirements: Dalet classification
Stealth Theory Level 4 (check)
Method #1 Theory Level 3 (Applied Science and Genius?)
Method #2 Theory Level 2 (Technician)
Method #3 Theory Level 2 (Engineering)

I have level 2 in both tech and engineering (assuming its ok some of those points are in bio), but a lot of my procedures are applied.

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Date: July 6, 2020 10:39AM

Yes, per Josh's message above your last.

Josh M Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Spontaneous is from a Skill, whether from Genius
> or Applied Science.
>
> -Josh Marcus
> Head of Plot, FI 3

Date: July 6, 2020 05:18PM

Thanks Aunty Ali winking smiley

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Posted by: David R (IP Logged)
Date: July 6, 2020 11:10PM

I didn't think applied science counts towards your genius theory level. That feels weird.

Date: July 7, 2020 01:22PM

Applied Science skills absolutely do count towards Theory Level. It's not the most efficient from a gaining-Theory-level perspective (10 point skill vs. 20 points per Genius, et al) but that's part of the sacrifice of specialization. To specify also: there's no Genius-specific Theory Level a la Engineering and/or Technician Theory Level, just [Discipline] Theory Level which is more like an umbrella. For example: Chem Engineering counts towards your Chem Theory level and your Engineering Theory level; not double, but separately.

From the Theory Levels heading of the Rulebook:

"Theory is a measurement of your character’s ability of understanding new concepts in a specific area of expertise. Theory is rated in levels, with the simplest concepts rated at level 1; your character’s Theory level is determined by the number of CP spent on skills within that area of expertise."

When you go to the Skills tab of your character sheet, the Skill Type shows which Discipline it counts towards. Engineering and Technician theory levels aren't shown there though. Those require a little more attention to suss out.

If I'm wrong though...a lot of people will need to restat.

Posted by: Josh M (IP Logged)
Date: July 9, 2020 12:07AM

To interject, Erin is not quite right.

There are a few Perks that count Genius Theory Level for their requirements, such as the Advanced Classification Perks. It's a measure of a skill requirement to unlock that Perk, and using the shorthand of "Theory Level" was the easiest and shortest way to indicate "this many points in this Skill."

I'm pretty sure nothing else in the game references your Genius Theory Level other than the requirements for such Perks, so I think that's the only thing it exists for.

Applied Science Skills would not count towards Genius Theory Level, as it is not the Genius Skill.

Apologies for any confusion.

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Posted by: Ethan G (IP Logged)
Date: August 22, 2021 06:53PM

To further clarify, I cant just observe myself doing things?

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.