Rules Forum - FI 3
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ingested Poison And Contact Poison
Posted by: Daniel E (IP Logged)
Date: October 4, 2018 10:44AM

I think you should remove ingested poison and contact poison from the game. There is a certain oog "ick" factor and ingested poison has essentially been supplanted completely by tainted AMPs in FI2 to good effect.

I think these effects just end up being a waste of rulebook space. You have AMP tags and environmental effects, you do not need these anymore.

Re: Ingested Poison And Contact Poison
Posted by: Brian P (IP Logged)
Date: October 4, 2018 11:18AM

Daniel E Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you should remove ingested poison and
> contact poison from the game. There is a certain
> oog "ick" factor and ingested poison has
> essentially been supplanted completely by tainted
> AMPs in FI2 to good effect.
>
> I think these effects just end up being a waste of
> rulebook space. You have AMP tags and
> environmental effects, you do not need these
> anymore.

I completely agree with Dan.

Brian Paul!
-Prop Boss, Plot Team, Rules Comm, Other Stuff

Posted by: Matt A (IP Logged)
Date: October 4, 2018 11:40AM

Contact I can see the OOG ick factor.

Ingested for me has always had a Meta Component where you can see the Poison before you even interact with it. Its sort of game breaking from an immersion factor.

It really depends on how consumables are being handled in the new rule book. I know that some other games have full tags for a consumable, and that would also give easy access to add a poison effect.

Leader of Vanguard Squad, Archipelago Liberation Forces

Posted by: David R (IP Logged)
Date: October 4, 2018 04:34PM

Also, with ingested poison, I don't want someone handling a food of some sort and then putting it in something I'm eating. Far too easy to have cross contamination or germ spreading.

Posted by: Josh M (IP Logged)
Date: October 4, 2018 04:46PM

There is a place for substituting writing on AMP tags and environmental effects, but these hazards are tools for storytelling that will be useful to us in the coming arc. We have seen both implemented successfully and seamlessly in FI 1, and that informs the decision to keep them around.

The feedback is appreciated, but suggestions of simpler or more streamlined ways to implement them would be more helpful and closer to the type of feedback we are looking for.

For example, “Keystone implemented bubble wrap under a bolt of cloth as a way to do popper traps; this has proved to be a simple and easy to clean up way to do popper traps.”

Thank you,

-Josh

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Date: October 5, 2018 08:17AM

Okay, then we could put it this way:

FI2 implemented the use of AMP tags which can be affixed to any sort of small prop, including food, to simulate food and drink that is either beneficial or harmful. This removes the very real problem of contaminating food with germs.

Brian Paul!

Posted by: Josh M (IP Logged)
Date: October 5, 2018 05:31PM

Thank you, that is helpful.

How do folks feel about needing to have an AMP tag attached to food and drink served in game?

Edit:
Would requiring the would-be poisoner to procure new gloves to use ingested poison each batch be an adequate safeguard?

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/05/18 05:33PM

Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: October 6, 2018 01:11PM

The tags seem like a logistical nightmare given the sheer preponderance of consumables. Unless consumables are going to be limited to 1/10th where they are in FI2, I have a hard time envisioning tagging every consumable being a viable solution. See also how tagging every consumable with a "Mothership Approved" sticker virtually never (if ever) happened in this arc despite being in the rulebook.

For ingested poison, could stickers work? Stick it to a can or on the edge of a plate. No one actually touches the food or ingests anything for it to do its job, placement is discreet, and furnishing stickers is substantially less work and is less game-breaking than tagging everything. We use stickers already for weight and specialty items, why not use the green and/or blue stickers we already have? Thoughts?

Contact poison is tough because ignoring that you've seen a hazard tag is immersion-breaking as all get-out. The incidental and accidental contact along with the ease by which it is placed in secret is what makes contact poison effective. If the goal is to have the "oh $#^%, I've been poisoned!" moment look and feel genuine, a tag just won't work.

I think we're probably overthinking what, ultimately, is a very small part of the game here. Is contact poison really that bad as it is, for what it is, that it demands a change? To me, it depends on how often we encounter it. If it's going to be present every event, then probably so. But for the -maybe- 10 times in more than 40 events that I've seen it, not so much. I say leave it and use sparingly as we've done in the past.

Posted by: Matt A (IP Logged)
Date: October 8, 2018 08:54AM

I may suggest taking a look at how TOV does Consumable Effects.

1) I agree consumables were WAY to easy to make in large quantities and I found that to sort of impact the feel of the game a little. I would like to see actual resources needed to be used to create consumables, and perhaps having to make them between games even... Since you have to plan on Phys Reps anyway. I wont lie I would have like to know I can only make 30 beers and only bring 30 phys reps instead of going, well I could get a refresh so Ill bring WAY more.

2) Tags at TOV seem to be only read when you have decided to and have already consumed the consumable. Thus only getting a clerification of its effects, not super game breaking.

Leader of Vanguard Squad, Archipelago Liberation Forces

Date: October 8, 2018 08:59AM

>
> 2) Tags at TOV seem to be only read when you have
> decided to and have already consumed the
> consumable. Thus only getting a clerification of
> its effects, not super game breaking.
>

This is the same as how AMPs work.

Brian Paul!

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.