Welcome Colonist !   There are 40 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:17

Rules Forum - FI 3
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Restore Life, Drain As Core Procedure
Posted by: Jason G (IP Logged)
Date: September 6, 2018 11:40AM

Having the core Restore Life procedure also include a drain effect seems harsh, especially in conjunction with the fact that a restore life brings you back with 0 bit, so you also need additional healing.

From a game standpoint, when you are dead, you don't get to participate any more (for a time) and having a negative effect to be able to participate again seems crappy. I also feel this will steer people away from combat.

And add in that the additional healing will take extra time from a lot of players expounds these problems.

Re: Restore Life, Drain As Core Procedure
Posted by: David R (IP Logged)
Date: September 6, 2018 12:15PM

I agree with Jason. Drain is too harsh. I support changing it to 'begin restore, 1 minute rp, restore life.' I also support having restore life return you to max vit as it has worked previously. I think combat will be a lot cleaner, and people would be more likely to enjoy it under these circumstances.

Posted by: Josh M (IP Logged)
Date: September 8, 2018 06:45PM

Hey there!

We had a chance to talk about this at our meeting today, and we greatly appreciate the feedback!

We actually had the 1 minute RP requirement as our original version of the Procedure but were worried it would be too complicated with requiring using Extend Death Sequence to have enough time to resuscitate, and thought people would prefer the instant cure with a drawback that is curable by a Skill in the Starting Skill List.

If more people would like to weigh in on this we’re ok with going either way the player base prefers.

But the target will be restored to Dying and 0 Current Vitality, we would like a brush with Death to be a serious thing, and while the being Dead part may be fixed, the patient is not out of the woods yet. First Aid or Tend Minor Wounds (or a QSO) would then be appropriate. Or Surgery to Heal a large amount of Vitality lost.

As a flip side, with the addition of Execute being gated behind a Skill to make use of it reusably, Players should expect fewer opponents to necessarily attempt to finish them off in that way during an otherwise non-murderous confrontation.

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: September 8, 2018 06:55PM

In conjunction with only coming back to 0 Vit, yea, I agree that it is harsh. I like the 1 minute RP idea so long as the start of the RP stops the death count. Otherwise, it necessitates extending the death sequence to use at all. However, I'm also kind of in the "if you want something better, research it" camp. The Core Procedure works that way but there is room for some enterprising colonist to make a name for themselves by making a better version.

But, as an aside, and as someone making extensive use of the Restore Life with Drain on the field, I don't think it hurts combat. If anything, it keeps it flowing because you're not sleeping it off.

Posted by: David R (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2018 03:16PM

Erin, how often are you using the draining version on folks with more than one vitality?

Date: September 12, 2018 11:58AM

Literally every time I bring someone back so...maybe a half dozen times per event?

Posted by: Matt A (IP Logged)
Date: September 20, 2018 11:00AM

A procedure like restore life I feel should almost always have some sort of drawback. You just died, It seems weird to come back to life and be unhurt, at full health, and ready to fight at 100%.

Leader of Vanguard Squad, Archipelago Liberation Forces

Date: September 21, 2018 12:25PM

Matt A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A procedure like restore life I feel should almost
> always have some sort of drawback. You just died,
> It seems weird to come back to life and be
> unhurt, at full health, and ready to fight at
> 100%.
>
> Colony 505 "Touchtone" - More-Ale Officer
> Doctors Without Colonies - Operations Officer

YES. Being a mobile Super Rez Bed needs to come at a cost. That's the only way it keeps the Rez Bed in the realm of Sacred Tech and the notion of dying in the game being more than a transaction of skill points. I mean, if you think about it, Restore Life in general is always better since you don't risk a Final or take the time out of the encounter to walk to the bed. You might lose a Vit. or a few minutes to sleep or what have you, but you are never going to Final from it.

Posted by: Brian P (IP Logged)
Date: September 21, 2018 03:56PM

I agree that the perfect-instant-restore-life effect should be higher on the list, if not altered to be "restore-life always has a side effect" so that it doesn't subvert the rezbed.

What exactly that side-effect should be is a matter of taste just as much as it is a matter of game balance.

My first thought is to make the effect take time by default, like the Heal Vitality effect. I also like the idea of revising the base effect to be "You shift from dead to dying" which means you're likely going to be spending time doing First Aid anyway, so picking a different side effect than "takes times" would be reasonable - such as weakness.

Brian Paul!
-Prop Boss, Plot Team, Rules Comm, Other Stuff

Posted by: Stu A (IP Logged)
Date: October 9, 2018 01:47PM

I have to agree with BP, a balance of realness and fun to play, weakness seems to hit the nail on the head. You can heroically save someone but you need to get them out of there as they cant fight. It feels right dramatically.

As for what a core procedure is, they are bread and butter, solid options almost all colonies use most often. That is why they are broadly taught.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.