Welcome Colonist !   There are 37 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:18

Rules Forum - FI 3
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Power Armor And Lift Capacity
Posted by: David R (IP Logged)
Date: September 5, 2018 11:57AM

Under the new rules, power armor no longer gives any form of strength boost. As both a flavor and mechanics thing, I think is should carry some sort of boost even if it's not as large or scaling in the same way as current rules. Part of the reasoning for power armor is to carry/utilize components, they should be able to support at least a little weight of them. Another option if you don't want to just give a flat strength boost is make power armor reduce the weight of its components by 1 (possibly with a minimum weight of 1, so you can't just abuse portable vs streamlined for savings)

Re: Power Armor And Lift Capacity
Posted by: Josh M (IP Logged)
Date: September 5, 2018 02:25PM

Good suggestions, let me get back to you, say Sunday or Monday?

For now, I’ll just say we felt Power Armor was a little too powerful and we pared a bunch away to get to the essentials. We may have removed too much, and we’re having a meeting this weekend where we’ll be discussing this among other topics.

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Posted by: Matt A (IP Logged)
Date: September 6, 2018 09:24AM

Im not sure when I would have seen an issue with strength boost with Power Armor.

If the basis of the issue the the number of devices one can carry, I do think that an unlimited Parent is a bit much if it falls under the as long as the component is smaller in size.

Might be a different thread, but a set of Power Armor that is a limited parent with strength boost, does not seem to broken

Leader of Vanguard Squad, Archipelago Liberation Forces

Date: September 8, 2018 05:58PM

Hey there!

So we talked it over at our meeting today and decided to add a few things to Power Armor, and we figured out how we would like to handle Assault Armor.

Power Armor has what we currently have in the Alpha, plus:
You may “Reduce” to 1 Damage harmful effects you suffer from the same Discipline as the Base Procedure the Power Armor is based upon.
Your Lift capacity is increased by 5.
If your Power Armor becomes Disabled or Broken, and you can no longer carry your current load, you may still move but only as if suffering the Weakness Effect until you can once again lift your total load.

Assault Armor has the following benefits:
All the benefits of Power Armor.
You may call “Barrier” to harmful effects you suffer from the same Discipline as the Base Procedure the Assault Armor is based upon.
You may “Reduce” to 1 Damage harmful effects you suffer from the same Discipline as the Base Procedures of any components attached to the Assault Armor.
You Lift capacity is instead increased by 6 (instead of 5).

Enjoy!

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Date: September 9, 2018 05:45PM

Assault armor letting you reduce its component disciplines is broken. With ~100 common equivalents you can build armor and components that let you barrier the discipline of your choice, and reduce literally every other discipline.

Date: September 9, 2018 07:07PM

I don't see how you could possibly build that Assault Armor and expect it to work. Keep in mind that even at Theory Level 6, you have a maximum total of positive Modifiers of 12. Bearing in mind that Assault Armor has a value of [+6] already, eating half your possible design room for your Blueprint...

Is it Delicate [+0]? The first time it Reduces a call it will Break, and if you go Unconscious for even a moment after it Breaks it is Destroyed. But I guess it can fit eight Components [+6] while it lasts...

Is it Fragile [+1]? The first time you become Unconscious for even a moment it will Break. Not to mention it then has a maximum of six Components [+5], so there's at least one Discipline it is fully vulnerable to. Also, see Durable below for other problems...

Is it Durable [+2]? The first time you are unconscious or otherwise helpless someone can come over and remove the Red dot from your Armor and Break it. Or pull the Tag off and Destroy it if they are feeling vindictive. Still doesn't seem like a solid option to me, and you're also down to a maximum of four Components [+4], but I can see some people taking the risk and wearing this.

Is it Rugged [+3]? That actually takes some work to Break or Destroy, but you're also down to a maximum of three Components [+3], and in the realm of what I see as an actual likely use-case for this Armor.

Is it Hardened [+4]? That makes it a pain to Break or Destroy, but you're down to a maximum of two Components [+2].

Is it Nigh-Invulnerable [+5]? That's pretty damn hard to Break or even Destroy, but you're down to a maximum of one Component [+1].

Is it Invulnerable [+6]? Then it's damn hard to Break, and almost impossible to Destroy, but there is no Design room left for it to be anything other than Packaged [+0].

And that's before you consider adding other Modifiers (for use or Autonomy) for any reason. That is why we're ok with it as it is currently formulated. If we're missing something though, please let us know.

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Date: September 10, 2018 08:48AM

Durable on spec quad parent. You then use sharing components to fit 7 components in 4 slots.

Date: September 10, 2018 08:49AM

You could do rugged and not reduce combat but still reduce everything else, and still be nigh unkillable with the right incoming healing.

Date: September 11, 2018 12:00PM

Thank you for feedback, we’ll have a second draft soon!

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.