Welcome Colonist !   There are 71 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:19

Rules Forum - FI 3
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
A Bunch Of Unrelated Notes
Posted by: David R (IP Logged)
Date: September 4, 2018 11:01AM

Here's a giant pile of stream of consciousness style notes I was taking over a recent read through of the book:

Surgery and other 2 minute long procedures aren't halved by favored discipline? (Possibly just surgery, and I was thinking there were other 2 minute things in procedures.)

In production create trinket/tech/consumable:
What's the difference between synthesis and creation? It looks like synthesize has a resource cost and create doesn't, but have the same output. Why would you ever take synthesize over create?

Physics, supersonic cannon, bestow cleave through gun, the note says it's blade delivered.

The second note on tabula rasa that it resets you to an unactivated state and doesn't count as having treated symptoms should have a caveat 'unless one of the treatments is a cure all mental effects.'

With the sheer number of 'to automaton' procedures in the book, it looks like you're setting up for automatons to be the big enemy again in FI3? Is that correct? If not, I'd suggest paring down the number of 'to automaton' things to avoid that trap of people thinking automatons will be a big thing again.

Under effects you have:
Heal
Instant heal
Repair
Instant heal
The description for the second instant heal instance reads as though it should be instant repair.

I'd make the 'stim' call separate from heal or repair, and just make it represent bestow contingency x trigger zero vit.

The healing and curative effects section needs a description of surgery.

Disarm means the weapon is useless until repaired? The flavor there is weird. I'd replace disarm/jam with break [blade/gun]

Is advanced poisoning covered by cure poison?

Has bind legs replaced snare, and if so, if your legs are bound, can someone else 'pick you up' to move you?

Does power armor no longer make its components reactive? Tactical textiles appears to not make things reactive.

I think that the 2 minutes thing that gets dropped to 1 minute by favoring the discipline should be taken out, and that knacks should just require favored discipline. (Possibly leave the first aid knack as not requiring favored/add another bio knack that does require favored or something, because first aid is so necessary to how the game works.) It adds unnecessary complexity to an already too complex system. I firmly believe that the goal of the FI3 book should be to make the rules less confusing/complex/easier to keep track of.

Re: A Bunch Of Unrelated Notes
Date: September 4, 2018 11:09AM

Hazard armor requires 90 cp of armor skills and conveys no armor benefits, just the single constant effect, correct?

Date: September 4, 2018 11:10AM

For safety I'd make minimum length blades 18" instead of 12"

Date: September 4, 2018 11:14AM

If you have a knack that allows procedure preparation such as left shift shareware, can you stack multiple preparations of said procedure if you spend more time preparing?

Date: September 4, 2018 11:18AM

Burst is listed as SCR, which means it's specifically 3 uses in quick succession, but doesn't officially allow for throwing all at the same time. Explosives expert gives a benefit if you throw all packets of a burst at the same time. I think the description of burst needs an update to allow for this functionality with burst procedures.

Date: September 4, 2018 11:21AM

Does vit still give punches/do punches still refresh when you have time away from combat?

Date: September 4, 2018 11:42AM

If you're using a gun to execute or quickdeath, I'd suggest allowing it to be fired next to the torso, rather than directly into it, so we aren't shooting our friends point blank with nerf guns.

Posted by: Andrew B (IP Logged)
Date: September 4, 2018 12:52PM

Quote:
"For safety I'd make minimum length blades 18" instead of 12"

Or perhaps encode in the rules that 12'' blades are acceptable, but only as a delivery mechanism for Stealth procedures? (IE: I can't square off with you face-to-face with a 12'' blade, but I can backstab with it.)

Date: September 4, 2018 02:28PM

The terms dodge and parry are used a bunch but never defined.

Posted by: Josh M (IP Logged)
Date: September 4, 2018 03:34PM

There’s a lot here... let me try to address what I can. If people have follow up questions, I suggest starting a new thread for that specific item.

Surgery is always 2 Minutes. It’s longer than a typical Heal, but has flexible benefits. We are fine tuning the wording, but essentially at the end of Surgery you may choose 1 per Surgery Level: A: Heal 5 Vitality, B: Cure Wither or Cure Bleed, C: Something else from a relevant Skill.

We are trying to decide which option to go with. If one could simply Create Rare Resources like one Creates Consumables, they would choose to every time. You can’t. Some Procedures require you to Synthesize something from something else. Do we want to do the same thing for Consumables, or keep them as Create? Some people have complained about the over abundance of consumables, and we would like to change to a slightly more scarce-feeling world, a medium between FI 1 & 2 in that respect. This is worthy of its own topic of discussion.

The Physics Cannon is a typo, it should be by Gun.

Tabula Rasa now has a specific effect when interacting with Psychoses. We are not complicating that further.

We plan to have Automatons in FI 3. For more, FOIG.

You are correct, the second Instant Heal should be Instant Repair.

Stim is a shorthand we’re using to make the game more accessible. If consensus is that it doesn’t, we’ll throw it out.

Oops on Surgery. See above.

We’re open to Break instead of Disarm. Start a thread and see what people think.

“Advanced Poison” is a different Life State than regular ole Poison, and this has a different Cure. If nothing else, Resist Death would help with the most Terminal Symptom.

Snare and Bind from before have been simplified into a single Effect Call, Bind [Limb], similar to Maim [Limb]. Repair device will fix it quickly. We are debating allowing any level of Repair to also cure Bind, in a similar way to Healing Curing Maim. Start another thread and we’d be happy to hear thoughts.

Power Armor has been significantly changed. Components can be made reactive on their own.

1 minute vs 2 minute: We want there to be some specialization as to what people do, so people can be known for being good at it. We don’t want to go all the way back to 5 Minutes which was Way Too Long. 2 Minutes seems reasonable for things a character is not choosing to specialize in. Feel free to start a discussion thread if you feel that strongly about it.

Hazard Armor is Combat Armor plus the new benefit. This is why we decided to change the name away from Environmental Suit, call it “Armor” and have it require Armor III.

It may not have made it in as it was a basic assumption on our part, you can only have one Preparation of such a skill at a time.

If Burst does not include that in the Current Rulebook, we are including it in the next.

Vitality still gives Punch. Did not mean to leave that out.

Execute and Quickdeath MUST be delivered to the Torso to be effective. This gives someone the option to pretend to execute or QD someone and then not.

I admit lack of personal knowledge on blade lengths. We will be having a Combat Meeting this coming weekend and I will make sure we discuss this. Can you start a discussion on this in a separate thread in the meantime?

Dodge and Parry are used as they currently are in FI 2, except you simply call ‘Resist’ when you use them.

I will update the list of known issues as I have the time. Thank you for this, if I seem abrupt or dismissive I blame recovering from surgery. [List updated!]

You are all wonderful people, and I appreciate you taking the time to offer constructive feedback.

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09/04/18 09:31PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.