Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:19

Main Board
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Gear Construction
Posted by: Sage S (IP Logged)
Date: May 1, 2022 08:45PM

Hello!

I'm a new player, getting ready to join for Spring 2. I had some questions about gear construction -- are there any guides, forum threads, rules sections I missed, etc, that talk about how to make procedure packets? Or more details on melee weapons?

I'm guessing outside of those two mechanical specifics, the construction guidelines for other props fall along just "safe to carry in physically active settings" (durable, not sharp, etc etc).

Thanks!
Sage

Re: Gear Construction
Posted by: Lee P (IP Logged)
Date: May 1, 2022 09:53PM

Hi Sage!
There're a ton of guides across the internet about how to make "spell packets for larp" (aka procedure packets here). Here's one: https://underworldlarp.com/how-to-make-spell-packets/
Of note, it's best practice to use string instead of a rubber band, for biodegradability, ime.
Also, people will probably have extra around if needed.

Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: May 2, 2022 01:01AM

Hi and welcome!

Like Lee said above, there will be Procedure packets around but if you want to be sure to be stocked, bring some of your own. I recommend using ~6" x 6" squares of cotton fabric (I raid remnants bins at craft stores), quinoa/millet/small grain birdseed (~2 Tbsp/packet), and yarn/embroidery floss. Please do not use elastics to close them so we can be as eco-friendly as possible when they do eventually break down. There's a good video tutorial here (save for the elastics): Packet Tutorial.

For melee weapons, they need to be made from CPVC (3/4”) or kite rod/bamboo (minimum .505”), with foam padding (minimum 5/8” wall thickness) and an open cell foam thrusting tip, held together with strapping tape and duct tape. All Melee weapons must be no shorter than 18” and no longer than 48”.

Highly recommend having one made by someone experienced if you're new to it, to be on the safe side. If you have a need, please ask!

Also, if you haven't already, hop on the FI Evolutionary Initiative group on Facebook. That's where most of the action is between games; lots of good times. Looking forward to meeting you and your colonist!

Posted by: Sage S (IP Logged)
Date: May 3, 2022 10:34PM

Thank you both! I don't think I'll need a lot of packets, but I'll probably take the time to make and bring some -- just so I feel prepared. Looking forward to this!

And I don't have a Facebook account, hopefully that won't get in the way too much ^^;

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.