Welcome Colonist !   There are 76 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:24

Main Board
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Device Tag Blank Out
Posted by: Stu A (IP Logged)
Date: January 8, 2016 09:53AM

I have now tested and confirmed, it is my packing tape, not the cold that keeps wiping out my device tags.

Re: Device Tag Blank Out
Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: January 8, 2016 10:42AM

The washing machine also does a number on those tags winking smiley

I've started just writing over the text on the tags with an actual pen, and that makes them a bit more durable. but, that said, I have several tags whose text has completely faded and need to be reprinted.

In the past I have just reprinted them (getting the cost to 0 with "engineering") and then just sent in a help request to cast with the builds and an explanation of what was done and why. But, I'm not sure if this is the official solution? I'd be interested to know, as every device tag Hannah has is now a blank piece of thermal paper...

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Date: January 8, 2016 10:51AM

BP told me this fall that was a legit solution.

I am today with my laminater.

Posted by: Steph T (IP Logged)
Date: January 8, 2016 10:56AM

Yep that's legit. We're working on having a secondary non-thermal printer for Device tags. The downside is we'll have to keep stocking it with ink, which is annoying and expensive. But we love you guys slightly so whatever.

Date: January 8, 2016 10:59AM

Maybe the easier solution is to keep some cut plastic sheets the size of the tags but the forge. Just slap it over it before taping?

Date: January 8, 2016 11:03AM

I won't stop you from doing that, but I'm not diverting resources towards it when we have other things to get done and a different solution in the works.

Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: January 8, 2016 01:59PM

I have plastic sheeting that I use to sew a see through pocket on my devices so you can use the tag. Plastic pocket + sun = invisible device tag. Plastic pocket + sweaty me = invisible device tag.

Granted, it does last longer then using the tape, and if your not wearing the device it might work a little better?

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Date: January 8, 2016 02:07PM

Being an engineer is really mysterious y'all.

Posted by: Ben L (IP Logged)
Date: January 8, 2016 03:18PM

The problem isn't just the tape; thermal paper also fades over time, in the sun (UV exposure), and under a myriad of other conditions. Tape is just the fast way to make it blank by the end of the weekend. I imagine it works better for amps because they're kept in darkened jars away from most of those conditions. (the same conditions that can mess with medication chemical compositions... Imagine that...)

I look forward to having a non-thermal printer option, I'm sure the engineers around here would happily contribute to keeping it fed with supplies, but I imagine there's also software<->printer concerns that need addressing too.

-Ben

Date: January 8, 2016 03:20PM

We have a guy who codes for the autoforge. ;-)

Posted by: Brian P (IP Logged)
Date: January 8, 2016 03:31PM

Reprinting is the approved solution right now. I can check the AF and if I see any weirdness of people printing massive amounts of free stuff, I'll look into it, but I know that reprinting is happening and I won't cry foul if you need to do it.

On the To Do List is the "DEVICE PRINTER" project. I just need the time to get the computer set up and working nicely with a printer, and then I'll get our code-master to add in the final details for the AF to send Devices to the new printer.

Brian Paul!
-Prop Boss, Plot Team, Rules Comm, Other Stuff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.