Welcome Colonist !   There are 85 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:23

Main Board
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Let's Have A Chat About Snackies, Shall We?
Posted by: Steph T (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2014 06:28PM

No, poor coffee has no condiments. This is already established and is not subject to opinion.

Posted by: William B (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2014 09:55PM

For clarification purposes, Jack has been distributing a "Good Cola." Bravo Brew is a leading brand in the category of colas (Coca Cola). It's generally accepted as a standard option. In that logic it doesn't seem wrong to Produce a batch in a Diet, Vanilla, or Cherry version, so long as it's not fancy enough to involve actual grenadine or something. (I don't believe the 90 calorie serving size cans I use have anything but classic and diet though, and I'm sticking to that delivery method for consistency).

If it were Poor Cola, I'd pick up some random cheap store-brand cola (RC Cola, Sam's Club, etc.), and it would never vary from "generic cola" flavor.

If I had Luxury Cola, it would be some fancy "made with real sugar cane" cola, like an "all natural" syrup made with a Soda Stream machine, or Jones Pure Sugar Cane Cola. A nice Roy Rodgers would also seem like a reasonable option at that point.

Poor pantry, good pantry, luxury pantry. Everything scales- cheaper ingredients, simpler recipes, the lower you go. Frozen sugar water is poor; ice cream sandwiches are a treat most people can afford, and a decadent chocolate ice cream with fine bits of hot pepper handcrafted by a trained ice cream wizard is reserved for the upper crust of colonial society.

Date: July 15, 2014 11:37PM

You're on target, Will! Feel free to use a moderate variety of brown colas to cover Good Bravo Brew!

Posted by: Chelsea S (IP Logged)
Date: July 16, 2014 12:44AM

While we are on the topic of portions...

Candy. How much would a serving be? '5' servings of another food would produce a lot more for the same resource cost, but I only get 5 gumballs for the same?

I've been doing 5 pieces of candy for the production. I guess that's right?

ORRR am I wrong? : < I've been policing myself on this just to not tread on toes.

Michelle *Mika* Slade >n.n<
Colony Touchstone 505 Morale Officer!
" Perks you up where you need it!"

Posted by: Brian P (IP Logged)
Date: July 16, 2014 03:20AM

Serving size depends on the food. So, for candy, a serving size is one piece.

Brian Paul!
-Prop Boss, Plot Team, Rules Comm, Other Stuff

Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: July 16, 2014 09:39AM

Just to double check:

When I make cookies (lvl 2), I'm considering a cookie the size of my hand, like the ones you get at panera bread or any bakery, as a serving. So, roughly about a four inch diameter. When I did cookie smores, I purposely made smaller cookies so I could count two cookies as a serving. Is this fine?

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Posted by: Brian P (IP Logged)
Date: July 16, 2014 10:37AM

Totally fine!

Brian Paul!
-Prop Boss, Plot Team, Rules Comm, Other Stuff

Date: July 16, 2014 01:43PM

I guess it depends somewhat on the candy! A candy bar, a pack of M&Ms, etc.

Although if it's Poor Candy I would need to adjust my metaphors smiling smiley

Date: July 16, 2014 03:15PM

Awesome thanks guys : D

Posted by: Chris M (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2014 09:37AM

There any rules on subdividing a serving for sampling? Something A) to be given away, not sold, and B) obviously too small to actually satisfy any hunger craving?

Orehitna Cresrore
CEO /Operator Catalyst Card Room (Now on Touchstone)
Three Man Statistician / Coffer minder / Administrator

Date: July 17, 2014 01:46PM

If you must. One serving of Consumable still only counts as one serving for one person, for the purpose of "By Consumable" procedures or anything else that requires a consumable.

Please do not abuse the spirit. If nobody ever wants more than a taste, should a taste be an appropriate serving? Etc.

Posted by: William B (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2014 02:54PM

Yeah, I'd be frustrated as a player on a meta level if one person drank most of a soda and then another person sipped the last drop in the can and stated "Heal 1 Vitality By Consumable!" In this case one person benefits by getting to enjoy a soda, and a second person benefits from the mechanical effect that's supposed to be attached to a Consumable- that doesn't fly.

You have to Consume a Consumable to use a Procedure with the "By Consumable" Restriction. Otherwise it goes into "technically" territory. We all know how saying "technically" makes us look.

I'm not RulesComm, but in all seriousness, you get 5 Servings from using 1 Procedure that creates any kind of Consumable; it only takes 1 of the 5 Consumables produced to benefit from the "By Consumable" Restriction. Even with a Luxury Consumable, that's 1 Uncommon and a Common split 5 ways (usually), and each of those 5 Consumables can effectively shave 1 level off of a Procedure through the "By Consumable" Restriction. It's cost-effective and pretty darn neat, so it's pretty rude to skimp on the Restriction requirement.

If you're just sharing a portion of 1 Serving with others, then it's fine- just don't share it and use it to trigger a procedure that imposes the "By Consumable" Restriction.

Apologies for rantiness. Thank you kindly, community!

Posted by: Stu A (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2014 03:18PM

Absolutely, we don't want to abuse the game effect mechanics, but I plan to regularly buy one sandwich (non effectual) and split it ect.
Not being able to do that is just not WYSIWYG and difficult to conceptualize why in character. But if it has an in-game effect and if it is split I think noone should get the effect. Rule should be one person needs to consume all of it to get an effect.

Although we may want to be lenient on special cases OOG. If someone has a nut allergy, or is diabetic they should be allowed to spend the time to pretend to eat something and slip out OOG to be disposed of (maybe a friend can eat it in their cabin so as to not deliberately waste food). We should not penalize someone for a coincidental health concern.

Posted by: Stu A (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2014 03:22PM

New Idea,

"Ready to kill everyone? Stabbing your friends? Shot another bartender? Try Dr Black's Mellow Nuts! Guaranteed to take the edge off!"

Posted by: Whitney M (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2014 04:44PM

Speaking as someone with an allergy that makes it impossible to trust anything ever (corn-- corn syrup, corn starch, all corn derivatives, basically everything), there are many ways to take a consumable that won't break immersion for other people. Just don't make a big deal of not eating/drinking it, whether through strategic role play or stepping aside for a moment, take the effect, and pass the phys-rep onto a friend who knows they aren't gaining an in game effect out of it.

If I know I'll be in a situation/mod/whatever where it could be an issue, I usually bring water or a Cliff bar I can use, so I can actually eat/drink without worrying about whether or not I'm allergic to one of the ingredients.

As long as you put the effort into role playing around the whole consumable aspect, you're probably solid.

Magnus Rymaus Blair Allen

Posted by: Sabrina W (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2014 06:49PM

I would hope that everyone understand the effect goes to the intended and initial consumer. I've shared a Perky Pop with someone in game and the effect went to the first person to consume, not the person I was sharing with. Not everyone can handle real life energy drinks though and I don't blame. In the instance of sharing, I only finished it because I felt it was character appropriate to do so. Did I take the effects if Perky Pop for drinking it? Heck no. It was half gone when it was given to me.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/17/14 06:50PM

Date: July 17, 2014 08:20PM

Perky Pop is the devil. ITS SO GROSS. I WILL MAKE A BETTER ONE XD

Date: July 18, 2014 09:10AM

Since I asked... I have no intention of sharing anything being used for an effect.
Hannah is able to produce pizza. Ori is probably going to try and buy a pizza oven from her. He might well want to do a batch and let people sample the thing, to create interest in selling later (Hey, I work in a supermarket, I know sampling grows sales)

Also there's a couple of ways of going about physrepping "good pizza" and knowing what goes over well helps me do it right the next time.

Orehitna Cresrore

Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2014 09:49AM

We want to actually have a serving large enough to be filling, and we need to consider different sized pizzas and their cooking needs (I am not buying a full sized pizza oven) so here are my thoughts:

1. Standard size pizza: a serving is one descent sized slice, or two smaller slices.

2. Personal pan pizza: I'd say this is 1-2 servings, depending on the size of the pizza

3. English Muffin Pizza/Bagel Bite: I'd say 2 mini pizzas would be a serving

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Posted by: Telmo C (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2014 08:05PM

If you have a pizza in game, I believe you should pick one of the following options:

- Slice the pizza into 5 slices.
- Slice the pizza into 10 slices, and serve 2 slices for each person.
- Slice the pizza into regular 8 slices -- but 5 of those may have toppings.

(... please don't take this seriously.)

Date: July 19, 2014 09:36AM

Wendy, Telmo says we need a protractor to serve pizza..... 72 degree angles SUCK!

Orehitna Cresrore

Date: July 19, 2014 09:50AM

You could do that with a straight edge and a compass, actually.

Date: July 19, 2014 11:36PM

It's been over thirty years since Honors Geometry.

Trisect an angle for me with them, though, and I'll give you all the pizza you can eat

Orehitna Cresrore

Date: July 20, 2014 09:30AM

Sounds good.

(requires a marked ruler, details here)

Date: July 21, 2014 10:51AM

A marked ruler isn't a straightedge (I do remember what can't be done, sir)

Orehitna Cresrore

Date: July 21, 2014 12:16PM

Right. But I like pizza.

Date: July 21, 2014 02:08PM

Snorted laughing. Thanks, Telmo.

Date: July 21, 2014 04:09PM

OH YOU GUYYYSSSS

(I can draw a pentagon with a straightedge and compass. It took an evening-long math montage with Telmo making me do the math equivalent of pushups over a candle, etc.)

Posted by: Eli S (IP Logged)
Date: July 21, 2014 04:35PM

"The MIT Assassins' Guild: Because where else will you be trained in how to perform geometric constructions while under enemy fire?"

Posted by: Stephanie P (IP Logged)
Date: July 21, 2014 06:40PM

Eli S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The MIT Assassins' Guild: Because where else will
> you be trained in how to perform geometric
> constructions while under enemy fire?"

Welp. I bet we know what the next Marshall exam is.

Posted by: Michael L (IP Logged)
Date: July 21, 2014 07:33PM

nooooooo

Basil Williams

Doctor
Hopeless Idealist
Marshal Service Forensics Expert/Senior Deputy Marshal
Exploracorps Field Member
Eternal Optimist

Date: July 21, 2014 11:28PM

I like pizza too, but Ori is cheap, which is why he asked you to do the impossible. Squaring the circle will get you the same prize, and proving the universe is Euclidian will get you food and free poker for life

Orehitna Cresrore

Date: July 21, 2014 11:30PM

Math is very important, Basil.

Posted by: Rob B (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2014 07:20PM

So I have this idea... I kinda really like it...

Axton serves coffee... currently in little 8oz styrofoam cups because thats what I'm buying... It means that a serving is... kinda small because the cups barely hold anywhere near 8oz.

I was kinda thinking of picking up trinket... And making Mugs. (bear with me) I'd pick a standardized, but clearly worth it, size and then make people mugs with their names on em (I might also offer any level of personalization once I get the stuff to make these)

So like... Just this lvl 1 procedure? You get a small cup of coffee.

But bring Axton your trinket In game made mug and you'll get a much more decent helping of java.

grinning smiley?

Date: July 24, 2014 09:35AM

Sounds like a good idea, except.... doesn't axton's coffee kinda suck currently?
I don't do coffee, so I can't possibly evaluate, but I suspect better before bigger might help with sales.

The mug is brilliant as a trinket.

Orehitna Cresrore

Posted by: Eli S (IP Logged)
Date: July 24, 2014 10:08AM

From a rules perspective, I don't believe there's a problem with a serving size being "one cup within reason" (no bringing big-gulps, etc, but I doubt anyone really wants 32oz of bad coffee). THAT SAID, this would have to apply to anyone who brought their mug, whoever produced it, rather than strictly being a loyalty-rewards program.

Posted by: Rob B (IP Logged)
Date: July 24, 2014 10:59AM

Oh of course. I just see it as a cool little procedure synergy that really... just is something I'll enjoy doing.. tongue sticking out smiley

Also no worries Ori, the coffee problem has already been resolved.

Posted by: Michael L (IP Logged)
Date: July 24, 2014 11:41AM

I dunno Rob, it's not resolved until we get hipster barista Axton.

You already have the hat!

Basil Williams

Doctor
Hopeless Idealist
Marshal Service Forensics Expert/Senior Deputy Marshal
Exploracorps Field Member
Eternal Optimist

Date: July 24, 2014 02:36PM

GIVE ME MOAR HIPSTERS

Date: July 29, 2014 07:54PM

That video. Oh man.

Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.