Welcome Colonist !   There are 60 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:20

Main Board
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Let's Have A Chat About Snackies, Shall We?
Posted by: Rob B (IP Logged)
Date: July 4, 2014 07:11PM

First off... Let me say that I hope to never have to buy or eat another "snackie cake" ever again.

*phew*

Anyway I am finding myself IN LOVE with Production and want to keep pushing ideas of different consumables in game.

Jim beat me to the punch on one thing, which is I kinda love the feel of this combination of Asian to South Pacific inspired foods.

Personally I plan on getting my steamer to game at some point and doing various steam buns. Jim had an elegantly simple (and frigging TASTY) rice bowl.

Moving forward I'm wondering what kind of things people enjoy or would love to see introduced. This can also open up conversations as to what separates a poor vs a mediocre and/or luxury consumable.

For instance if I wanted to introduce Mochi as a consumable, will the distinction between it being homemade vs something generically store bought be a consideration? IS there a such thing as a "Poor consumable" Mochi?

I guess I'm unsure if this is meant to be a FOIG situation, or if there is the opportunity for a bit of transparency in this set of rulings. Also if this has already been covered in a thread that I've somehow missed please feel free to direct me and I will take this one down to prevent duplication.

THANKS!

Re: Let's Have A Chat About Snackies, Shall We?
Posted by: Chelsea S (IP Logged)
Date: July 4, 2014 07:53PM

Echoed and jumping onto coattails. Right now I can make poor candy and poor energy drink. I'm going to try to exspand that to good eventually, and even throw sports drink into that mix (Gatorade and powerade) . BUT are these things people want / like / enjoy in game? What else could little Mika make for you all to get that sweet tooth satisfied? : X

Michelle *Mika* Slade >n.n<
Colony Touchstone 505 Morale Officer!
" Perks you up where you need it!"

Posted by: Katherine M (IP Logged)
Date: July 4, 2014 08:44PM

Well, currently I am in league with Matt Adams with an ingame bar. I'm supplying Good Bar C*cktails, Poor Bar C*cktails, and Poor Pastries for it currently.

I was also planning on bringing in Ice Cream as well, but I'm waiting on a clarification on if there is a freezer I can use to store the product for when it's not being made. Depending on how that clarification turns out, I may bring in Pie in the form of my home made apple pie most likely.

Pretty much, my focus is around mixed drinks (in game Madori Sours or margaritas, anyone?) and pastry products (with the potential to bring in those Hostess fruit pies if I decide to take Poor Pie if anyone is interested.)

Is ice cream something people are interested in? Or pie?

PS, Love that you guys started this up.

Posted by: Chris M (IP Logged)
Date: July 4, 2014 08:49PM

I too want to say thanks to whoever got these rules in. In FI 1, Ori's biggest problem was that, if you didn't want weapons, wear armor, or use mind-altering chemicals, there was nothing to buy.... so I had a greedy money-grubber with nothing to spend it on.

I'd love for charred animal flesh for lunch. Or pizza for late night. And would be interested in helping OOG funding these things

Orehitna Cresrore
CEO /Operator Catalyst Card Room (Now on Touchstone)
Three Man Statistician / Coffer minder / Administrator

Posted by: Amanda S (IP Logged)
Date: July 4, 2014 09:07PM

Good gods, bread. I will gorram bake bread from scratch to bring in game if someone researches it.
And ask Rhiannon, Hillary, Jake B. or Rikki about my bread.
They can vouch.

Evelyn "Evie" Bowery
Biochemist, amateur lounge performer
Suddenly Cane Free

Date: July 4, 2014 10:00PM

Well, if you're offering to make Bread and it's delicious, I happen to know a Tav that hasn't settled on a second Production level 2 procedure yet. winking smiley Goes right along with my pastries. (I may need to get a clarification from Staff about if home-made bread would be a level 2 or not, and hopefully not find it to be a FOIG thing.)

Posted by: Angela W (IP Logged)
Date: July 4, 2014 10:15PM

I can also vouch for Manda's bread. It is amazingdeliciouswonderful. Now I totally want some.

I don't have much else to contribute to this conversation, other than to chime in with how awesome it is to see so many options for food.

Posted by: Jim W (IP Logged)
Date: July 4, 2014 10:34PM

So, since Rob mentioned it...

As someone doing this, I encourage you to do your planning and not go too crazy. When I'm coming up with stuff, I plan for making sure that I can:
* keep the food safely cold or frozen before preparation, in "storage-mode"
* prep the food safely from "storage-mode" to "edible-mode", in a reasonable amount of time

We're paying money to play a game. YOC is dealing with the vast majority of the food problem. Don't kill yourselves.

Here's my personal opinion on poor vs. good vs. luxury.

It's not supported by cast, because I'm pulling it out of my butt right now. That said, I think it will probably stand.

The "5 servings" thing is 5 legitimate, meal-sized servings. It's no longer FI1. We're not producing 4 ounces of chocolate per carb. When I'm making "5 servings", its "5 Jim-sized meals". I think everyone's cool with this, so I'm just stating the obvious, but just in case that wasn't obvious, there you go.

Poor food is a staple, supported by very simple garnish. The rice bowls are 'poor'. They're rice, with furikake (seaweed, sesame seeds, and bonito flakes) and pork fung (dehydrated sugared pork, pulled very fine). IMO, anything that's a vegetarian staple or a very processed meat staple, with nothing really complicated supporting it, would be poor. Bread would probably be "poor". It can still taste good.

Good food is "normal" food. If you have something you make for your own meals, it's probably "good".

Luxury food is something that you know damned well is restaurant-quality. Maybe you pick up a cheesecake that you know is amazing. Maybe you know you're a good cook. I have a couple of L3 dishes that I'll bring into game when I hit level 3 Production, because I know I'm good enough to cook them.

(I just had Erik (C.W.) looking over my shoulder and he seems to agree.)

-- Jim

timothy xavier

Posted by: Sabrina H (IP Logged)
Date: July 5, 2014 12:02AM

I currently can make poor breakfast pastries. (Pop tarts).
I also can recursion the consumable procedures if we need more servings.

Posted by: Brian P (IP Logged)
Date: July 5, 2014 11:07AM

I think Jim has the right take on the breakdown of meal qualities and serving size.

Serving size varies with what you make. Hard Liquor would be five shots, while Sandwiches would be five sandwiches. We expect that people using 'through consumable' procedures understand this and the need for a full serving to satisfy that condition.

Brian Paul!
-Prop Boss, Plot Team, Rules Comm, Other Stuff

Posted by: Steph T (IP Logged)
Date: July 5, 2014 11:56AM

Poor food is extremely simple and cheap. I agree with most of what Jim has said, but there's definitely a difference between Poor Bread (cheap white crap) and Good Bread (nice homemade/artisan).

I don't think there's a player-accessible freezer unless the one in the commissary has a freezer. Cast has a small freezer but it would be disruptive for you to come use it. Sorry :-(

Posted by: Sarah M (IP Logged)
Date: July 5, 2014 11:24PM

dry ice and a cooler makes a good ice cream freezer

Date: July 6, 2014 01:35AM

The Comm is just a full door fridge. Harald must have one in the kitchen, but I strongly suspect he isn't going to want people traipsing down there, and the lead time to cool a freezer before you can put food in it makes it pretty much impossible to bring any kind of unit to site.

OTOH, Wal-mart isn't too far away and they have some assorted groceries.

Orehitna Cresrore

Date: July 6, 2014 01:58AM

The honor bar does have a freezer chris. Not just a fridge.
We store ice packs in there during game hours.

Date: July 6, 2014 03:07PM

So much concern over my ability to properly store ice cream so it won't melt before I can 'make it'. Does this mean people would really like Ice Cream? I still haven't decided on my second Production Level 2 procedure yet.

Posted by: Chelsea S (IP Logged)
Date: July 6, 2014 04:10PM

The freezer in the 'honor bar' is very small, just a heads up. It also is home to the ice pack babies that I bring for myself and anyone else who gets hurt. If you really wanted to do ice cream...I think you may be hard press to find a cool spot to put it : /

Michelle *Mika* Slade >n.n<
Colony Touchstone 505 Morale Officer!
" Perks you up where you need it!"

Date: July 6, 2014 06:43PM

Yeah, you'd need to bring your own freezer (like a small roller)

Date: July 6, 2014 10:55PM

Yeah, I gave no consideration to the freezer in the Honor Bar for so many reasons aside from the player accessible ice packs.
We may be doing an experiment to see how viable the dry ice option is, but we don't know where in Western Mass we can buy it - and I don't know how willing I am to take off during game to go get the stuff for creation.

Date: July 6, 2014 11:12PM

www.americanice91.com is from Springfield, and has dry ice options, as does www.summiticeinc.com, and they're in Greenfield.

Both require large amounts (10 lbs and 25lbs, respectively) as their minimum.

Evelyn "Evie" Bowery
Suddenly Cane Free

Date: July 6, 2014 11:15PM

I also think I've heard of ways to make ice cream fast with no real need for a freezer, but that could be internet rumors that I only have heard second hand.

Evelyn "Evie" Bowery
Suddenly Cane Free

Posted by: Cassandra D (IP Logged)
Date: July 7, 2014 03:09AM

I used to make my own ice cream without a freezing by using endothermic reactions through the container to lower the temperature. I know rocksalt and evaporation were both used historically.

Date: July 7, 2014 09:11AM

A) Ori wants Ice Cream. Ori would buy Ice Cream. Chris would help finance OOG Ice cream to bring into game (and Chris filled Cast's freezer with ice cream treats for last August's "fall" event. Ice cream is a wonderful thing)

B) Unless you have a freezer that can start running on AC, switch to your car as you drove it, and plug in as soon as you get here, it's unlikely you can bring something electric that can get down to temp fast enough. Standard freezers are "run for 24 hours before loading' (If there IS such a thing, I'd love to hear of it). However, Wal-mart is close enough to run out and buy it, then bring it back and IG manufacture it.

Orehitna Cresrore

Date: July 7, 2014 07:36PM

Well I can say squeaks made ice cream by converting a floor on aleph into a walk in freezer in game. I also know that squeaks is supposed to be a part of the colony starter package, unless he was replaced by pipes.

Posted by: Sabrina W (IP Logged)
Date: July 7, 2014 08:31PM

Cast member. Remember that.

Date: July 7, 2014 11:04PM

Squeaks was never part of the "starter package".

One Jumpsuit.
One Grace Unit.

These are the "givens".

And apparently now 1 Striped Murder-Cat named 1-B (you colonists are frigging wierd)

Posted by: Jennifer C (IP Logged)
Date: July 10, 2014 08:59PM

My request is that pie is always referred to as "Pi"

Magnus Sulara Parity Blue
Colonial Defense Force
Gimel Yoga Instructor

My name is Blue and it's been ___ days since my last trip to the Bed.
www.timeanddate.com

Posted by: Matt A (IP Logged)
Date: July 11, 2014 01:02PM

On the Topic of Ice Cream

run to CVS and get some and you can store it in a small cooler with ice and salt to keep cold.

Leader of Vanguard Squad, Archipelago Liberation Forces

Date: July 13, 2014 04:50PM

So like...

Pork Bun (simple sorta store bought bun with meat inside) Good consumable?

Oni giri - Simple rice ball with a big of hamburg inside.. Poor consumable?

Date: July 14, 2014 02:45PM

Sure, onigiri should be very plain flavored.

Posted by: Jim W (IP Logged)
Date: July 14, 2014 07:40PM

I assume we're not doing anything like "form factor requires a different procedure", right? The rice bowls are the same components as onigiri, modulo the meat garnish. (I've made onigiri; I didn't for last event because it's been a crap shoot IME whether or not people will go for Asian food. This group is good; other groups are bad; I can acquire seaweed sheets for making trail food.)

timothy xavier

Date: July 15, 2014 01:42AM

A single procedure should get you a small category of food. Enough so you have a little variety and don't get bored, not enough that you corner a market due to clever phrasing.

Posted by: Daniel E (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2014 01:41PM

I am under the impression that flexibility comes from procedure level. If you have a Create Good Quality Sushi procedure you can have multiple flavors and ingredients. If you had Create Poor Quality Sushi you get artificial crab meat or cucumber as your options.

Rule of thumb I would guess is that if you are thinking "I wonder, would the procedure description cover this?" it probably doesn't.

Date: July 15, 2014 02:24PM

That's been a bit subjective in practice though (at least from my perspective)

There are level procedures that let you make any "crappy" kind of penny candy. Others can use rice plus a flavoring and render different results. My own lvl 1 allows me to just make plain black coffee (in this case the cheapest canned stuff I can find). That's why I'm trying to understand perspective going forward. For "good" consumable it stands to reason I could take a page out of "create sandwich" and just have "create beverage" but that's obviously not how these procedures should function. So I'm trying to gauge "ingredients, quality, and classification" of foods in order to make the best use of my science without going too far or selling myself too short.

It seems incredibly.. power-gamey.. when typed out, but I hope people understand the intent to clarify rather than an attempt to find exploits.

Posted by: Brian P (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2014 03:15PM

If you think you're power gaming with Food Procedures, then stop doing it. If we think someone is intentionally abusing the Food Procedures, we will inform them they should knock it off.

I doubt there will be a clear cut definition that will be bullet proof.

Use your best judgement.

Brian Paul!
-Prop Boss, Plot Team, Rules Comm, Other Stuff

Date: July 15, 2014 03:27PM

Small category.

Poor is crappy.

Good is good.

Luxury is fancy.

Don't powergame.

Case-by-case.

Date: July 15, 2014 03:32PM

Side note: I have personally processed every one of the Cook Procedures. I will continue to do so. I include explanatory text on the categories for each one.

Quit givin' me a headache.

Posted by: Sabrina W (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2014 04:12PM

I can understand where any confusion could come from when there's a whole lot of "good" food being dished out with the poor quality procedures, unless I'm mistaken and there's just a lot of good quality procedures kicking around.

I'm not trying to point fingers or say anyone is in the wrong. The player base needs to be consistent with what is or isn't [insert quality here] and stick to those stipulations.

Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2014 04:27PM

All my food procedures are level two, including the cookies, mostly because I find it easier to manage. Level two lets me have a couple ingredients and justifies varying the type of sandwich/cookie game to game. That, and there is no fear of me cooking anything that would ever classify as "luxury" smiling smiley

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Date: July 15, 2014 05:35PM

We are definitely relying on you Produce-ers to police yourself. Poor Food should be of extremely poor quality and/or extremely plain. It should not be delicious. It should nourish you and that's about it.

Posted by: Stu A (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2014 06:00PM

Still poor coffee should come with powered creamer and a dash of sugar by my estimation. I my opinion that does not qualify as Good by any means.
It's all opinion.

Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.