Welcome Colonist !   There are 54 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:19

Main Board
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Question About Books In Game
Posted by: Michael L (IP Logged)
Date: May 12, 2014 09:37PM

I know that in game there are a bunch of science books floating around (including a hilarious one from the 1960's) but what are the rules about bringing a book along to read in character? Would this not be something reasonably small enough to come along with belongings in cryo?

If it's possible, what would the restrictions be? Something low key/obscure? Obviously I wouldn't want to flaunt around some prolific piece of pop culture.

I guess the issue I'm having is that... obviously there would be books in this world, but those books don't exist in the real world for me to acquire.

I'd appreciate any help with this matter.

Basil Williams

Doctor
Hopeless Idealist
Marshal Service Forensics Expert/Senior Deputy Marshal
Exploracorps Field Member
Eternal Optimist

Re: Question About Books In Game
Posted by: Thomas G (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2014 10:26AM

When I needed to makea psych kit for a previous character, I used the old brown paper bag as dust jacket trick. Totally generic appearance, although it doesn't help the contents. You could probably sexy it up further using that as a base to decorate.

Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2014 10:36AM

I wonder if the boffer DSM (48th? edition) made it into Cast's possession...

Speaking as a player and given that it looks like you're trying to have a single prop, I don't see why it would be a problem. If you brought a small library with you, well, it wouldn't be the strangest thing that anyone's ever brought through cryo but I'm sure that would get a raised eyebrow from Cast.

Posted by: Stu A (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2014 11:11AM

FI1 Black brought with him in cryo the multidimensional tie rack of holding...

Posted by: Steph T (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2014 05:13PM

Sure, it's fine to have a little bit of that sort of stuff (mundane props) for flavor. I had a hilariously old math text I was enjoying this past weekend.

Agreed on if it has obviously real-world stuff on the cover, just make up a dust jacket.

-Steph

Posted by: Michael L (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2014 05:14PM

Great!

I'll aim for something inconspicuous yet still interesting to read... to the used book store!

Basil Williams

Doctor
Hopeless Idealist
Marshal Service Forensics Expert/Senior Deputy Marshal
Exploracorps Field Member
Eternal Optimist

Posted by: Sabrina H (IP Logged)
Date: May 14, 2014 06:57PM

The DSM is at my place, and yes I can bring it back to game for more hilarious deaths.

Leathal paper cut anyone???

Posted by: Brian P (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2014 03:29PM

If the title of the book, or the cover image, has something that would be an obvious modern day reference, just cover it up with some tape, or a label.

At one point I brought a used copy of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, and given that they publish a version every year, the date appears in big letters on the cover. I used some stickers (Utopia logo stickers, actually) to cover up the "75th Edition 2009" (or whatever year the edition was from) and then it became a totally acceptable IG book.

Personally, I love textbooks and reference manuals, and I will give a high five to anyone that includes something like that in their Discipline Kit, or just brings one to game for RP use.

Brian Paul!
-Prop Boss, Plot Team, Rules Comm, Other Stuff

Posted by: Amanda S (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2014 07:34PM

Yeeeeeeeeeees
More reasons to hit used book stores!
...I'm going to hurt myself with all the books I could use in my kits...

Evelyn "Evie" Bowery
Biochemist, amateur lounge performer
Suddenly Cane Free

Posted by: Ben L (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2014 10:36PM

I can't stop trying to devise a way to make 'The Book Club' happen as a weapon...

That said, if there are foam smiths out there that think they can make it happen, let me know...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.