Welcome Colonist !   There are 33 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:16

Main Board
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
New Player Questions- Weapons And Costumes
Posted by: Jen C (IP Logged)
Date: August 8, 2013 04:05PM

Hello! My husband and I registered this morning (had a last minute cancellation free up our weekend and decided to try future imperfect) and are very excited for this weekend. I had a couple of questions I'd love to get answers to before we start packing. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

Are latex and calimacil weapons allowed? Do people use only boffers that look futuristic or are there the occasional swords? I have one very short latex short sword that could pass for a machete type item. My husband has a basic Calimacil short sword. He probably won't want to use it for this LARP, but I might.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. . ..
It seems like a Nerf Jolt (single file, single reload) would be Guns 1.
We also have two Triad Ex-3's, which have three darts. Those would be guns 2.
It seems like the Alpha Trooper and the Rampage are guns 3, as clips are used in them.

Is the Nerf Rayven allowed? and is that guns 3?

It seemed like the six round clips are standard. The 12 and 18 round ones, and the drum, are separate? They require a special procedure/skill to load?

In order to use our alpha trooper, rampage, or rayven, our characters would need to spend 90 points on guns 1, 2 and 3. I imagine it's too late to submit our backstories to get 10 more points, but how does bringing darts in the package to donate for points work? I imagine being useless in other areas can be somewhat mitigated by being able to use cool weapons. . . . but it might be nice not to be completely useless without a gun in my hand. . . .

As to how the darts work- am I correct in my understanding that they're communal? do you get those when you arrive or do you load up your clips with darts you purchase, and whatever you shoot out joins the future imperfect dart pool? We have tons of Elite darts that we've labeled so we can track them down at other events--should we buy and bring new (unlabeled) streamline darts instead?

Finally, costuming. My favorite part!
I haven't been able to find pictures on the board or facebook page to give me guidance of the aesthetic. The no jeans/sneakers/logos is very helpful (can't stand sneakers in medieval larps!!!! seriously people?) but that just leaves me with so much freedom! If someone could direct me towards some pictures, that would help. Are there science fiction movies and tv series I should look to more than others (Firefly, Star Wars, etc?) I do costuming for high school and community theatre, so this is a real challenge to see what I can come up with for me and my husband from my costume stock and the random bolts of fabrics I have in my closet in very limited time!

Thank you so much and I look forward to seeing you in game!

Re: New Player Questions- Weapons And Costumes
Posted by: Andrew B (IP Logged)
Date: August 8, 2013 04:36PM

Hi Jen! Welcome aboard to both you and your husband!
I'll go ahead and answer your questions in the order you asked them. I'll try to be as accurate as possible, but keep in mind I am a player, not staff, so my word is not law.
We have seen latex weapons allowed in game before, though I believe it is under the specification that "as soon as somebody complains that it hurts, we're going to pull it." I'm not sure about Calimacil.
Correct! A Jolt is guns 1, Triads are guns 2, and the AT and Rampage are guns 3.
The Rayven is also allowed, as a guns 3. There is a thread on the Rules forum regarding guns, and should have a pretty comprehensive list of what's allowed. I believe it's stickied.
Six round clips have no limits in game. The twelves, eighteens, and drums can be brought in game but require a special procedure to load.
That's correct. 90 points is the "Guns 3" favored cost. Usually donation points can't be applied to your character at the same event you provided the donation, but that's something for Staff/Logistics.
Darts are indeed communal. There are big buckets brought out before that you can use to load your guns. Often, if a player brings a donation of darts they will load their weapons (along with their friends' weapons) and use the fresh darts to start game with.
Keep in mind that we aren't currently using Elite darts. We've got a really big stockpile of streamlines, and they're easier to find for cleanup. When we get low on steamlines and can no longer find them on amazon etc. to donate, I imagine the switchover to elites will happen.
Costuming is one of the best parts about FI. As long as you follow the guidelines, you really can do no wrong. We've got people in goth/raver gear, Military BDU/ACUs with motocross armor, cowboy get-ups, and business suits. As far as inspiration: Firefly, Star Wars, Mass Effect... there really is a ton to pick from. One of the hidden gems I've always liked for Aesthetic inspiration for various bits and pieces of FI is a movie called "Doomsday".
I hope this helped. I'm wicked excited for new players at what's undoubtedly going to be an extremely intense event!
-Andrew

Posted by: Steph T (IP Logged)
Date: August 8, 2013 04:50PM

Andrew said it all great, so... welcome to the future, Jen and husband!!

Posted by: Jennifer C (IP Logged)
Date: August 8, 2013 05:00PM

Great! Thank you so much!

Posted by: David R (IP Logged)
Date: August 8, 2013 05:01PM

Jen, when I played my first event I wasn't able to use UP from donations I brought for that event, however, a friend lent me the UP that I was going to get, and I gave what I got back to him after the donations processed. If you want I would be willing to do the same for you.

Welcome to our crazy world smiling smiley

Date: August 8, 2013 05:34PM

Speaking of which! Dave reminds me of a good point. If you end up doing something other than a 90 or 100 point build where you can just use a gun, I would recommend printing out your character sheet before game. Event printing has already been done, so Logistics won't have a character sheet on file for you when you show up. If you have skills that you may have difficulty remembering, you'll want to bring your own sheet.

Posted by: Amber R (IP Logged)
Date: August 8, 2013 05:48PM

My guys really answered everything correctly that I can see- I love my players!

Indeed, character sheets have been printed, but as always I will have blank sheets and a rulebook on hand during player check in so that you can create them on site.

You are very welcome to take advantage of David's kind offer of UP before event so that you have points to cover your All The Guns purchasing, that will work David is also right that donation points are awarded post-event, so those cannot be used.

See you tomorrow!

-Amber
Retired Logistics Goddess

Neve O'Brien(RIP), Magnus Sulara Oratia Somerton, Songbird, Elias Amory, Dr. Ara Grintner (formerly ZG) , Jane Sawyer, and Grace (just Grace)

Date: August 9, 2013 10:37AM

Wonderful! Thank you so much for the warm welcome! See you all tonight (and finger's crossed that hubby's 3pm meeting for work in Boston is short. . .and that traffic home and then out west isn't that bad. . . .)

Date: August 11, 2013 05:27PM

WE HAD SO MUCH FUN!
Thank you all for the help! See you in October!

Posted by: David R (IP Logged)
Date: August 11, 2013 07:19PM

It was great having you.

Posted by: Sabrina W (IP Logged)
Date: August 11, 2013 07:44PM

You guys were FANTASTIC! Thanks a bunch for joining our dysfunctional little family and we look forward to seeing you both again soon! grinning smiley

Posted by: Matt A (IP Logged)
Date: August 12, 2013 10:13AM

Hope to see you at muster next event Recruit.

Leader of Vanguard Squad, Archipelago Liberation Forces

Posted by: Steph T (IP Logged)
Date: August 12, 2013 10:55AM

It was SO AWESOME to have you guys!!!

Date: August 12, 2013 12:00PM

You guys did great. The game is better for having you two.

Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: August 12, 2013 01:05PM

So glad you guys are coming back!

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Posted by: Josh M (IP Logged)
Date: August 12, 2013 06:15PM

I didn't think it was possible to wear one of those fake mustaches and actually look natural, well done and welcome to our world!

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Date: August 12, 2013 07:03PM

HEY. IT LOOKS NATURAL ON ME D:<

Date: August 12, 2013 07:20PM

Posted by: Chelsea S (IP Logged)
Date: August 12, 2013 08:02PM

So great seeing new players come to our crazy emotion filled heart shattering world! Your costumes were AMAZING! <3 <3

Michelle *Mika* Slade >n.n<
Colony Touchstone 505 Morale Officer!
" Perks you up where you need it!"

Date: August 15, 2013 04:36PM

Thank you Chelsea! I've been dying to make Dave a pair of "Han Solo Pants" (I made up this term, and it means any pants with a ribbon or trim down the side that is tucked into boots) and really had fun with our costumes!!!

And this recruit *thinks* she'll have enough CP to have combat armor (and time IRL to put it together) so maybe she won't die during next muster! Yay!

Date: August 15, 2013 04:57PM

..I'm so excited to see what you put together, you have no idea!

Date: August 15, 2013 05:16PM

Naw the Recruit Got Assassinated at Muster...nothing combat armor was going to do for you there. However if the Dax remembers his stats like he is supposed to im sure her would jump infront of the blade.

Date: August 15, 2013 05:44PM

We should compare notes. I'm making a device prop for next game that will essentially be armor. I'm thinking a dress with some electronics added in, but I need to think about it. The lights, while cool, look way too much like a Valkarye.

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Date: August 15, 2013 05:45PM

Also I did love Ward's pants, awesome job!

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Posted by: Eli S (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2013 03:59PM

You guys were awesome. Welcome to the tribe smiling smiley

Posted by: Derek H (IP Logged)
Date: August 19, 2013 04:46PM

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to having you both back!

Date: September 7, 2013 07:17AM

WE ARE REGISTERD! And this recruit got LASIK yesterday so she will have perfect vision to defend the colony!

Posted by: Robert S (IP Logged)
Date: September 7, 2013 07:57AM

Congrats. I got that a month ago and it's pretty amazing.

Posted by: James R (IP Logged)
Date: September 7, 2013 05:15PM

Hey, Jen! (Or Rianej, perhaps? tongue sticking out smiley ) Glad to see you coming here, sorry I missed you last time! See you at the next event, though smiling smiley

Date: September 8, 2013 10:50AM

I'm Cordelia Turner in this world smiling smiley
I figured I'd pick a name that was less obnoxious to pronounce!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.