Welcome Colonist !   There are 71 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:24

Main Board
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
To Respec Or Not To Respec?
Posted by: Alex S (IP Logged)
Date: October 16, 2012 07:59PM

trying to decide if I should use my charater reset now or wait one more event? I feel like it would probably be benificial to respec now so I can take a gather and some science.

Re: To Respec Or Not To Respec?
Posted by: Josh M (IP Logged)
Date: October 16, 2012 09:39PM

Do you know where you want to go with your character going forward? Make sure you have your advanced class in mind if you're aiming for one. Similarly, do you know what you want to do Science-wise; are you taking a Pure (Type)? Do you know which Gather will support the Sciences you wish to do, or are you aiming to collect the ones currently more expensive on the Jinjia stock market? If you had any Procedures, Perks, or such unlocked make sure to make a note of them so you can request them be readers after the reset (which takes a help request).

Hope that's helpful to you, as well as anyone else considering such things. Feel free to post or PM your build if you want feedback, I'll give you feedback when I have a moment, as will many of your fellow players, I'm sure, we all want to help people create a character for themselves that is both functional and fun for them to play and others to interact with.

Looking forward to seeing what you're planning!

-Josh

P.S. The Goals area of your (all players') character sheet is a great place to give Plot a heads up as to what you'd like to be doing, and in giving us inspiration for "alternative" rights of passage to those in the book. It also gives us more help in writing plot you specifically would be interested in. Not required, just a friendly suggestion. smiling smiley

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Date: October 16, 2012 11:53PM

ok, I would love any and all advice when it comes to this re-spec, so here are my thoughts:

I know the advanced class I am going for is thug, so I want to lean more towards melee. I don't want to sink a ton of points into science, but i'd like to take what would best augment my fighting style, so I was thinking chem or bio. As for gather, I would prefer something that works for whatever science I end up choosing. Finally, I currently have 218 cp available to me. As I said, any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks again,

Alex.

Posted by: Stu A (IP Logged)
Date: October 16, 2012 11:55PM

It's only one event. My advice is wait one more and you have 50 more points elbow room for your new build.
I wanted to take some abilities that were not my main focus on respec, and if I did it an event early I would have lost some of the abilities I was already using for a game. ( L2 Procedures ). That would have been odd to explain.

Posted by: Stu A (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2012 12:02AM

I would wait and not spend any points from last game. Keep the skills you had last game. Respec after this one.

You are talking about doing some science, but you are not a sci type. If you think you want genius at any point take 4 points now. It's much cheeper, and that may very well be all the genius you eaver want. And grab a gather, but you could wait if you wanted. I would suggest getting the sci out of the way as a newt.

Posted by: Andrew B (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2012 12:14AM

Stu sort of covered it. The basic response here is "it's always best to make sure you're getting the most out of your re-write."

By waiting you give yourself more points to spend on your newt skills before turning towards the "advanced class grind."

Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2012 09:38AM

I would also consider Physics and kitbashing. I had a blast with Physics, damage one and a kitbashed sword smiling smiley

Rymaus Liena “Ellie” Dax

Posted by: Steph T (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2012 10:20AM

Chem is great for melee.

An ideal build under current ruleset goes about like this:

Newt skills: Science & two gathers
5 genius (100 cp)
2x Gather 1 (50 cp)
2x Gather 2 (50 cp)
(Unclassified now maxed out)

Your basic class (Gimel/etc)
normal class skills - armor, weapons, etc

Date: October 17, 2012 11:42AM

alright, it looks like it is definitely going to be in my better interest to wait till after the event to respec, so I have more points. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Date: October 17, 2012 04:19PM

Definitely wait the event, there's no "best" Science for Melee, just depends on how you'd like to augment it. Steph hits the nail on the head if you want Genius and maxed Gathers, otherwise you can take a different skill as Favored if you're going Engineer/Technician, and don't horn either of those into the Unclassified 200 point cap as they don't have an unfavored cost increase.

Last but certainly not least: Consider that you will lose access to certain skills if you go Thug, specifically Dodge and Pierce, and consider whether you want them first. Side note, Parry is 20 non-increasing for Thug even though the rulebook fails to mention it (typos happen *shrug*). Consider both those things as you figure out your build.

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Date: October 18, 2012 10:24PM

ok, quick question, If I buy pierce or dodge and then take thug will I lose those or will I just not be able to buy them?

Posted by: Andrew B (IP Logged)
Date: October 19, 2012 12:47AM

What we mean whenever we say "You will lose access to that skill" is that you will no longer be able to purchase it. Barring any hugely rare special cases, you will never lose the ability to use a skill you have spent CP to buy (obviously excluding one-shot skills).

Date: October 19, 2012 04:47AM

What Andrew said.

-Josh Marcus
Head of Plot, FI 3

Date: November 2, 2012 04:30PM

ok, quick question, I am working on my re-build and was wondering about starting procedures, do I get them with my re-set after taking genius? I thought I remembered reading you could only get them before your first event, or am i crazy?

Posted by: Adam T (IP Logged)
Date: November 2, 2012 04:33PM

I believe the way the site works is that in order to gain access to Starting Procedures, you MUST buy your science skill within the first 150pnts spent in your character/rebuild.

Date: November 2, 2012 04:36PM

ok, thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.