Welcome Colonist !   There are 60 Citizens Exploring our Colony

Today in Colony CT-3-999 is C.Y. 8:04:18

Main Board
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Science Kit Patches
Posted by: Kevin G (IP Logged)
Date: April 23, 2012 05:58PM

In the past, there have been stickers of the various science symbols (from page 68 of the rulebook) available at check-in, for people to put on their science kits. But as far as I know, all the stickers are gone, and personally, I could never get them to stay attached.

I heard that, in the near future, more stickers will be printed, and freely distributed. But for my own use, I'm trying to screenprint some fabric patches. I don't want to commit a lot of time and money to this project just for myself, so I figured I'd ask everyone: if I made a lot of these patches, would anyone be interested in buying them?

- Pulse -
* Freeborn Brother
* Mechanologist

Re: Science Kit Patches
Posted by: Chris M (IP Logged)
Date: April 24, 2012 02:36AM

What kind of adhesive are you talking about?

I "should" get one for that green case I carry around, but I need it easily removed. It's actually a backgammon case, and my little sister has been promised the set, if she ever gets back to Massachusetts to visit, so I can't make permanent mods

Date: April 24, 2012 11:08AM

In your case, I'd suggest gaff tape, which peels off without leaving residue. But the nice thing about patches is that there are many ways to attach them, permanently or not, almost all of which will work better than stickers.

- Pulse -
* Freeborn Brother
* Mechanologist

Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: April 24, 2012 01:38PM

I would be interested in a math one.

Date: April 24, 2012 07:27PM

Great! Unfortunately, in order to make this project worth the investment, I need to make at least 14 patches, sold for $3 each. If anyone else wants a patch (or ANYTHING with a 4x4" science symbol on it), please let me know.

I'm thinking about running this through Kickstarter, and just making the patches themselves the investment rewards...

- Pulse -
* Freeborn Brother
* Mechanologist

Posted by: Chris M (IP Logged)
Date: April 24, 2012 11:24PM

I need math and psych (if I can put one on each side of the case and have it count)

And I'll take 2 each, because spares are a good thing, so with yours, that's 6.

Need 8 more. So don't give up just yet

Posted by: Steph T (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2012 09:23AM

I'll bet we wouldn't say no to some as donations, but I'll let Amber speak to that. smiling smiley

Posted by: Amber R (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2012 09:30AM

We would never say no to donations of such.

And even beyond that, at $3 each, I have a few characters I wouldn't mind having patches for... I'd probably want at least two, maybe more for personal use.

Posted by: Rob B (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2012 09:32AM

custom patches can be done fairly cheaply. That said find someone with an embroiderie machine and pay them for their time (it'll help THEM out and be far cheaper than a commercial outlet)

I'm all for supporting our local craftpeoples.

I believe Alyssa Weisblatt has such talents?

Posted by: Rob B (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2012 09:33AM

True, I'd purchase a slew of patches myself.

I also struck a bit of a cord with a merchant at Anime Boston who does laser etching on metal.

If we wanted a BULK order... He is very amenable to giving me a discount in return for my circuitry know-how

Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2012 10:28AM

Add one for Zach to the list.

Posted by: Erin B (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2012 01:20PM

Hooray for networking and progress on a cool idea!

I'll take 2 for math. I heartily support having extras about for more SCIENCE!

Posted by: Benjamin L (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2012 04:29PM

I also have access to a laser cutter/etcher. If you get me materials and designs, I'd be willing to do most reasonable things. However, mine can't do metal, but I can do most plastics. And poptarts.

Posted by: Jim W (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2012 05:09PM

If you're etching plates, you can likely make them Velcro hook-side backed with
industrial-strength Velcro, obtainable pretty easily at Home Depot. I have a roll.
What format do the designs need to be, people with laser cutters/etchers?

timothy xavier

Date: April 25, 2012 09:19PM

Rob, my plan wasn't to get this done commercially, but get the help of a screenprinter who lives in my building. Embroidered patches would probably look better, but I don't know what the cost difference is.

I also have access to a laser cutter, btw.

- Pulse -
* Freeborn Brother
* Mechanologist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.